Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My dog Memphis is a 10 month old lab/shepard/terrier mix and he has hip dysplasia. He does pretty good, no limping or lameness, he kinda hops like a bunny in a full out sprint but is still active and does everything a puppy does...my question is he seems sore sometimes after a big activity of running and playing, can I give my dog baby aspirin? Anyone have any experience with this? I can't afford a surgery and I'm still paying off vet bills, so I thought I'd see if anyone has some experience with baby aspirin cuz I want to try to keep my dog painfree as much as I can...

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
He shouldn't be forced to do activity, of course, no roadwork or jobbing or hiking, but more casual walks where he gets to choose how fast and how much he does. Swimming wherever possible should be his main activity.

Over baby asprin I would suggest a regular joint supplement that he gets daily to help with things - I use one made for horses since it's much cheaper and easier to use than the people/dog ones. You can give asprin if needed but some of the blends can help more than just the pain.

Lana

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Dogs can take aspirin. The difference between "dog" aspirin and "human" is that occasionally there are occasional human (and not dog friendly) additives, dosage differences and being unbuffered. A aspirin made specifically for dogs will be buffered and easier on the dog's stomach, dosages are way different between human needs (a "baby" aspirin and a regular aspirin are far different in dosages) and what a dog needs. Aspirin also thins the blood and carries a risk of gastrointestinal irritation and bleeding.

We had an older dog with his dysplasia -

I would ask the vet for exact dosages for your dog on the follow meds

A good quality (human grade - we used Osteo-Biflex) glucosamine/chondroitin supplement
Buffered Aspirin
Depending on the pain level a prescription strength pain killer

Opportunities to swim will be invaluable exercise for your pup as it is very low impact and won't wear on his joints like other exercise will.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I want to suggest a little more caution. Unbuffered baby aspirin for babies and for heart patients can cause ulcers in dogs fairly quickly. So, call your vet for his suggestion before self-medicating, in this case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts