Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy good quality leather for B Boy but am having a hard time trusting the quality while shopping online. Google isn't helping me out here and I've searched this site using some keywords and didn't find much. I was originally going to order from Paco but I want a much more plain looking collar than they offer. I also don't want that twisted leather leash, I prefer flat. They are the only company that's been recommended to me so far.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a tried and true leather company? I want a leash that can stand up to LOTS of use because I plan on using it at the animal shelter too. I'm sick of the "community leashes". They get nasty.

Another volunteer down there has an almost 30 year old leather leash that I lust over. LOL, out of the mouth of crazy dog person. ;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've heard nice things about california collar co. I checked their site and they do have just plain flat leather leads as well. :)

As for Paco, you could always just request a custom collar without all the bling? :)

·
Registered
11,349 Posts
Does anyone have a suggestion for a tried and true leather company? I want a leash that can stand up to LOTS of use because I plan on using it at the animal shelter too. I'm sick of the "community leashes". They get nasty.
Just a thought but personally I wouldn't use the same leash on my own dog as was being used at the shelter and any leash that had been used at the shelter would have to be sanitized well before using it at home (which a nylon lead can handle but not leather). Too many contagious diseases.

Have you looked at the Dean and Tyler leather products?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just a thought but personally I wouldn't use the same leash on my own dog as was being used at the shelter and any leash that had been used at the shelter would have to be sanitized well before using it at home (which a nylon lead can handle but not leather). Too many contagious diseases.

Have you looked at the Dean and Tyler leather products?
Yeah, using it at the shelter concerns me so I was thinking about only using it when walking the healthy dogs. But yeah, you're right. Probably not smart considering I have specific shelter clothing and shoes and throw it ALL straight into the washer on "sanitary" before letting my dog anywhere near me. Not sure what's up with that lapse of judgement!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Paco collars :p pricy but super good quality. Paco has a Martingale/leash combo set that would be good for your use at the shelter

·
Registered
717 Posts
Try Pawmark, I got a beautiful flat leather collar from them, it has a metal clip closure which I really like-- excellent collar and their price range is welll under $20. Mine is a Martingale LEATHER collar, because my dog tends to slip hers, but you dont have to get the Martingale feature-- they craft the collar to your specifications-- great company!
I am sure they have leashes as well, I did not look as my pup eats leather leashes....

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I highly recommend Paco Collars. I ordered some collars from them a few months ago and they are absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Oh man. Shortly after starting this thread, Paco announced a 20% off sale. I struggled on placing an order or not but couldn't stomach spending $80 for a collar and not having a matching lead, no matter how gorgeous their collars are. So I ended up going with this set
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8088
figuring it would satisfy my want, at least temporarily. TODAY Karma collars is having "Free leash Friday" so I went and ordered the Little Ranger too. Don't tell my husband! ;) LOL!
And the Weaver set will probably be going back right after I take out the new personalized placemat. Can't wait!!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
lol I just got this collar/leash combo from Paco

I also like my collar and leashes matching, as pricy as the collar was I couldnt force myself to get the collar without the leash lol, with shipping it was about $140(although i could have saved the shipping darn it..I didnt occure to me till AFTER I recieved it that my Brother was on a road trip to the states and passed right by the Paco shop!)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
There are a lot of leather goods available on Etsy. I haven't purchased a collar there yet, but I have multiple leather handbags from Etsy sellers that are fantastic quality. Some of the leashes I'm looking at are made by people who make bridles for horses, so I think that says something about the leather and stitching quality.

·
Registered
569 Posts
http://www.pro-mohs.com/

I have a few leads from them, and they are GREAT! I have three show leads - one of which got chewed. I can still use the chewed one; it really is that good quality! (I don't though, just in case). They are very affordable, too!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh man. Shortly after starting this thread, Paco announced a 20% off sale. I struggled on placing an order or not but couldn't stomach spending $80 for a collar and not having a matching lead, no matter how gorgeous their collars are. So I ended up going with this set
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8088
figuring it would satisfy my want, at least temporarily. TODAY Karma collars is having "Free leash Friday" so I went and ordered the Little Ranger too. Don't tell my husband! ;) LOL!
And the Weaver set will probably be going back right after I take out the new personalized placemat. Can't wait!!
Good choice, I came on here today and saw this thread and was going to recommend Dr's Foster and Smith Leather collar and leash, same product and everything! I Hope it works out as great as mine is! :) And also very glad to see you found something!

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you want a leash to use at the shelter, I highly recommend biothane. It has somewhat of the same feel as leather (just as nice, just different IMO) and it's easily washed.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/6-foot-tufflex-snap-lead.html

The leash/collar you bought - the deerskin is really nice, but not what I'd consider an all-weather or durable collar. I have owned a few of those collars, and while they are SUPER nice... they don't fare well on dogs that get wet and dirty.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If you want a leash to use at the shelter, I highly recommend biothane. It has somewhat of the same feel as leather (just as nice, just different IMO) and it's easily washed.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/6-foot-tufflex-snap-lead.html

The leash/collar you bought - the deerskin is really nice, but not what I'd consider an all-weather or durable collar. I have owned a few of those collars, and while they are SUPER nice... they don't fare well on dogs that get wet and dirty.
Yeah, the reviews seemed to imply that they wear down after time - while they are super soft and sharp looking reviewers were coming back to buy a second or third set. And while my dog won't go into water, he seems to be oblivious to the rain and will hang out in a downpour like it's 70 and sunny. :) lol So I'm planning on returning the Weaver set and wouldn't even open the box if I didn't also order a new placemat too.

Hey, does the biothane burn your hands if you have a dog that pulls HARD? Some of the dogs at the shelter are crazy strong and have zero formal training. If the biothane is easy on your hands, I might go for one of those with the traffic handle built in. Taking them down the "run" is difficult and a traffic handle makes all the difference.

MissBugs and Cloud, gorgeous collars!! I might start a "show off your leather" picture thread when I get mine in so we can all share. :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hey, does the biothane burn your hands if you have a dog that pulls HARD? Some of the dogs at the shelter are crazy strong and have zero formal training. If the biothane is easy on your hands, I might go for one of those with the traffic handle built in. Taking them down the "run" is difficult and a traffic handle makes all the difference.

MissBugs and Cloud, gorgeous collars!! I might start a "show off your leather" picture thread when I get mine in so we can all share. :)
Nope! Biothane is super easy on your hands, it's very soft and springy. I use mine when I go hiking, since they're stink proof and waterproof, but still feel and act like leather.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts