Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. A petshop owner told me that kibble with high protein is only for dogs that live in countries that have cold winters (snow etc)

She told me that when I said I want to switch my dog from Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy to Acana Pacifica.

She said that giving a dog who lives in a country with mild winters and hot summers kibble with high protein content will eventually create problems with the dog's stomach and general health.
What do you think?
Oh and by the way my dog is a 17 month old Dogo Argentino and we live in Cyprus
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Sounds like bologna to me.

That said, it takes more calories to maintain normal metabolic function at cold temperatures than at warm ones, so animals (humans included) may burn more calories in cold seasons that in warm ones, assuming the same level of activity in both seasons. High-protein kibbles tend to be more calorie dense than lower protein kibbles. So... maybe their reasoning was that in a hot climate dogs don't need as many calories so you don't need to feed a high-calorie food? Or something?

·
Registered
102 Posts
That is so full of bologna; she runs this store and this is what she tells people? She's not gonna go far in this business - might as well sale it now.

That's the biggest hog-wash I've ever heard.

Yes...dogs living in cold climates, outside, etc do need more calories and a higher calorie food can keep the overall cost of feeding a pet down; but to say they're the only dogs that can benefit from the better ingredients is hog-wash.

There is nothing wrong with feeding Acana pacifica to *any* dog in any climate. I feed a high protein; grain free food to my big guy year-round - I have too.

Colorado summers can average 80-105 degrees, our winters average 25-50+ on any given day - so we're not exactly a *cold-country area* either.

My response, buy the food and try it - but go slow on the transition. Acana is going to be richer then Eukanuba, but could turn out to be cheaper to feed in the long run.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
The shopkeeper sells this food she advises you not to buy? LOL. If she never will sell it to anyone I wonder how old that bag is? :p

Anyway, no. Somes dogs do well on higher protein and some don't. Exercise level has a lot to do with it. Normally I associate higher fat with colder weather, not higher protein. If the calorie count of the Acana is higher than the Eukanuba, make sure you account for that when deciding on portion size.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Thats strange, because on another forum there is an OP telling everyone that LGDs (Livestock guardian dogs-- here they are usually great pyreenes, anatolian shepherd, mixes of the two...) need a LOW protein diet nothing over 18%(which to me is pretty darn low for a working dog stuck outside with livestock in pastures, here that are pretty cold, plus it is Winter)....
But you know, I think that is bologna too...

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Quite honestly I don't think I've ever seen a dry dog food with protein levels under 22%. Maybe the really nasty stuff like store brand generic or the stuff in the plain white bag. But normal dog foods are usually a lot higher than that. . .

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Quite honestly I don't think I've ever seen a dry dog food with protein levels under 22%. Maybe the really nasty stuff like store brand generic or the stuff in the plain white bag. But normal dog foods are usually a lot higher than that. . .
Sadly it does exist. I wasnt too pleased when DH brought home a bag of (overpriced) Science diet for Seniors for our (now dearly departed) senior dog after a trip to the Vet.... 18% protein, and all corn...
I have better food for my chickens....

Even worse now that we have a LGD pup, I was browsing around some site and they reccomended utilizing feeding dog low protein diet of OATMEAL for 2 weeks if pup was being unruly!!!! Really! It seems not too many people dont really think about other ways of modifying behavior.... like training....(a fair number appear to simply shoot the dog for offenses.... sorry I digress)....

·
Banned
359 Posts
Hi All. A petshop owner told me that kibble with high protein is only for dogs that live in countries that have cold winters (snow etc)

She told me that when I said I want to switch my dog from Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy to Acana Pacifica.

She said that giving a dog who lives in a country with mild winters and hot summers kibble with high protein content will eventually create problems with the dog's stomach and general health.
What do you think?
Oh and by the way my dog is a 17 month old Dogo Argentino and we live in Cyprus
Thanks!
Actually there is some truth to this. And I will tell you why. Some trainers will refer to higher protein foods as "hot feeds" because protein as a source of calories is extremely innefficent and does create heat during gluconeogenesis. About 30% of protein calories are used during this process which is what creates the heat.

Fat and carbohydrate do not cause this.

Your dog really does not need protein above 25% and 30% would be the limit.

As for Acana, its junk. Don't waste your money on it. See if Farmina N&D is available on Cyprus, or I am sure some Italian internet retailers will ship it.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Sadly it does. Natural Balance has 20% Protein and 10% fat. :p Its the only thing my working dog can eat because of allergies and I am having to feed so much of it too keep his weight up. And thats their venison formula. Their Bison is only 20% Protein and 10% fat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your replies!!!
The pet store owner doesn't carry Acana anymore - she told me it wasn't selling so they stopped stocking it. I'm guessing know(after reading your replies) that she wanted to keep me as a customer and on Eukanuba....

Thanks again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually there is some truth to this. And I will tell you why. Some trainers will refer to higher protein foods as "hot feeds" because protein as a source of calories is extremely innefficent and does create heat during gluconeogenesis. About 30% of protein calories are used during this process which is what creates the heat.

Fat and carbohydrate do not cause this.

Your dog really does not need protein above 25% and 30% would be the limit.

As for Acana, its junk. Don't waste your money on it. See if Farmina N&D is available on Cyprus, or I am sure some Italian internet retailers will ship it.
Hi Bumper1 thanks for your reply. I will definitely check Farmina N&D. I saw on their website that they have a distributor in Cyprus.
Do you feed your dog/s Farmina N&D?
Why do you think that Acana is junk?

·
Banned
359 Posts
Sadly it does. Natural Balance has 20% Protein and 10% fat. :p Its the only thing my working dog can eat because of allergies and I am having to feed so much of it too keep his weight up. And thats their venison formula. Their Bison is only 20% Protein and 10% fat.
What is the nature of this allergy?

·
Banned
359 Posts
Hi Bumper1 thanks for your reply. I will definitely check Farmina N&D. I saw on their website that they have a distributor in Cyprus.
Do you feed your dog/s Farmina N&D?
Why do you think that Acana is junk?
Farmina is not in the USA at this very moment but the website is up and there is a banner that Mr. Chewy.com will be carrying it.

http://usa.farmina.com/

I think the 30% protein line is a good one for your dog.

Why did i say Acana is junk? Poor quality control, lots of misrepresentations and lots of complaints.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Why did i say Acana is junk? Poor quality control, lots of misrepresentations and lots of complaints.
This unfortunately can be said about over 97% of the foods on the market; I've yet to see one that represents itself for what it truly is. All pet foods are from *pet feed* quality ingredients, period, some are better quality - but none of them use the fresh cut meats that some of them boast commercials about.

Beneful, which IS marketed and produced by Purina, is famous for this misrepresentation - granted, I don't think there are members here that feed it. But it's still produced by the same company that represents on commercials that they use fresh cut meats - very very far from the truth.

Orijen/Acana is no worse on misrepresentation then other manufacturers, and at least they're forthcoming with where they source their ingredients from.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Farmina actually looks like a good product; hopefully it will become more available. One of the better ones that Bumper has recommended.

Bumber1 what kind of dogs do you have, what are you feeding, and can you post some pics - I have yet to hear of you actually refer to your own dogs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've learned that you shouldn't really listen to people at pet stores. I don't know about smaller businesses, but at least with large chains such as Petsmart, they're only in it for the money and most of the people are uneducated or are just trying to be 'salesmen' for a certain brand of food, and will mislead information.
At Petsmart, some guy tried to sell us Science Diet for our new puppy even though we told him we already had her on a brand, and was trying to convince us that Science diet is one of the best and talked about it as if its an elite brand of dog food :|

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
What is the nature of this allergy?
He is allergic to chicken, no matter if its the first ingredient or not. Breaks out in bumps, loses fur, ear infections, loses fur around his mouth, scratching, licking, diarrhea and vomiting. Goes away once he is on a food with no chicken in it.

·
Banned
359 Posts
bumper is constantly trashing Acana, honest kitchen. He does not know what he's talking about. " trash" that's hilarious. One thing Acana is not is trash...Look at the ingredient list and tell me it's bad for kibble. Beneful, Purina ...That's trash.
Acana is nothing but a bag of beans.

·
Banned
359 Posts
This unfortunately can be said about over 97% of the foods on the market; I've yet to see one that represents itself for what it truly is. All pet foods are from *pet feed* quality ingredients, period, some are better quality - but none of them use the fresh cut meats that some of them boast commercials about.

Beneful, which IS marketed and produced by Purina, is famous for this misrepresentation - granted, I don't think there are members here that feed it. But it's still produced by the same company that represents on commercials that they use fresh cut meats - very very far from the truth.

Orijen/Acana is no worse on misrepresentation then other manufacturers, and at least they're forthcoming with where they source their ingredients from.
Oh really? How forthcoming is Champion about using ingredients that are not in fact from Canada? They are far far far worse.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts