Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has a English Bulldog.In my opinion,that has to be one of the most high maintence dogs there is. The worst part is they can't breed it,the vet said he didn't recomend for their dog to be bred.That has to be a bummer since they paid (they said)$2500 for it. Even worse,if bred the female has to be artificly induced. What do you consider a high maintence dog?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
my own breed I would consider high maintenance. although my breed can breed quite normaly so thats not a factor (and I'm not sure how NOT breeding a dog counts as maintanence)

My dogs must get a mile walk every day
a half hour of swimming every day
a half hour of training everyday
a full grooming (nails, ears, feet) every week.
a dog show about once or twice a month

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I don't even know where to start on this thread

I'll go with.....1. what do you mean by high maintenance?

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
My brother has a English Bulldog.In my opinion,that has to be one of the most high maintence dogs there is. The worst part is they can't breed it,the vet said he didn't recomend for their dog to be bred.That has to be a bummer since they paid (they said)$2500 for it. Even worse,if bred the female has to be artificly induced. What do you consider a high maintence dog?
I also consider that to be high maintenance health wise.

Though I don't see it has bad that they can't breed it. There are more then enough breeders of English Bulldogs, they are very popular. So it is for the best.

I also don't know what the price has to do with being a bummer for breeding or not. Only if they did buy the dog as a breeding dog at a show/breeding price. Then they should have a contract though it doesn't always guarantee the dog will turn out or you will get a refund. The agreement is made between the seller/buyer for what happens in those situations.

EBs are expensive to breed so that adds to their price tag. There is a lot of vet care that goes into it.

I don't consider AI bad to do, but when it MUST be done and when C-section is almost always a must there is a problem. Not in best interest to breed.

As for what is high maintenance really depends on the person looking. There are different types.

Dogs that require a lot of frequent grooming.

Dogs that have high drive and energy which require lots of exercise and mental stimulation.

Would be some other types.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Afgans, those hairless breeds, those little fluffy things, and the flat faced breeds

·
Registered
393 Posts
What do you mean by high maintence, like high maintence coats, or personalities, or excersize requirements, etc?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts

Sounds like the vet is smart! Yes, bullies are VERY high maintenance, which is why they're so expensive, they can breed naturally, but they require a LOT of care and often they need C Sections because of the possibility of 'Walrus" pups (pups which retain too much fluid and are therefore too big to pass thru the birth canal). Unfortunately, there are WAY too many people out there breeding poor quality EB's and charging OUTRAGOUS prices, they are one of the MOST popular with Puppy Mills both foriegn and domestic ( many sold in the US are IMPORTED from puppy mills in eastern European countries). When you factor in the incedence of Cherry Eye, Entropian, Ectropian, skin problems, and soft palette malformations, they can be EXPENSIVE. Which is why you want ot do alot of research when looking at the breed when it comes to breeders.

However, to those who love the breed, they are worth it! EB's are some the best dogs as far as personality and loyalty, they're little clowns for the most part and are very affectionate dogs. I'll have another one day.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you mean by high maintence, like high maintence coats, or personalities, or excersize requirements, etc?
Mostly in the medical department. I take my dog for a walk and brush her daily and a good cleansing once a month.I guess some would say that's high maintence. I was thinking about special needs. Most dogs give normal births and such.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
When I think of high maintenance, I think of a dogs coat & grooming needs.
I kept up with brushing Georgie well, but it's not something I care to do anymore, so I now prefer to have a dog that doesn't need regular brushing.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I like grooming, so I wouldn't consider frequent grooming to be a big deal. Also, the health of a dog depends largely on the individual's genetics, so it's not really a breed thing, and all that AI and C-section mess can easilly be cured by spaying and neutering. I think a truly high maintainance breed (at least in my opinion) is a breed that needs extremely high amounts of exercise and constant mental stimulation, such as Border Collies, Aussies, Huskies, and Labs, all breeds I've had experience with, and don't really care to own in the future, lol!

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
any breed on or potentially on the BSL lists.

when everybody hates your dog because of what breed they are and are trying to have laws passed to have them restricted/put down..

your dog had better be the best behaved, most outstanding incredible dog you can get them to be.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
What comes to mind when I think high maintenance.....is my fathers Lab/poodle mix......Her coat is not the worst but she def. needs regular grooming...daily brushing ...unless she has been clipped short by the groomer...then she just needs her face wiped every day (chin hair is gross after eating)and her ear hair brushed out ....and she needs tons of daily exercise to avoid her getting destructive(bored) :)

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
When I think of high maintenance, I think of a dogs coat & grooming needs.
Me too, probably because I really don't like the whole process of grooming or even the feel or appearance of a long coat. Still coat care is number two in the "high maintenace" category for me. The first consideration for high maintenance is additional health needs/risks, then comes grooming, then exercise needs.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I think "high maintenance" has very little to do with the objective breed and everything to do with the breed-owner fit. A dog becomes high-maintenance once its needs in a certain area exceed what you're willing to provide.

For example, the Alaskan Malamute would be way too high-maintenance for me, because of the amount of running it needs to do on a daily basis. But for an owner like harrise, providing that amount of physical exercise isn't as big of a deal, because he wants a breed of dog that can keep up with that kind of regime. Similarly, the Sheltie would be too high-maintenance for me because of the frequent brush-outs it needs... but I don't think Laurelin, Sheltiemom or Tooney would consider them an exceptionally high-maintenance breed because they are willing to provide the amount of grooming needed to upkeep a Sheltie.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I think all dogs are high maintenance in different ways.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Golden Retrievers and Labradors I'd add to the list. They require extremely high amounts of exercise, they shed, they drip water/slobber, and they're VERY emotionally needy (require a lot of attention) and they require a lot of training.

I could have ten Whippets and they'd take the same amount of effort and time as one or two Goldens do ;)

That's not a slam on those breeds- I LOVE THEM- but it bugs me that they're often suggested to first time dog owners... who won't expect a high enegry dog that will shed all over the place, chew things up, and track in mud and drip water everywhere.

True, I do agree... as easy in day to day life as Whippets and Greyhounds are (little exercise, little training- they're mild mannered dogs naturally, no grooming...) they still need attention and training and exercise and loving. Also, a lot of them have separation issues- they are not good dogs for anyone who boards his dogs a lot or travels without his dogs frequently. That's NBD to me, but to someone else it might be high maintaince.

·
Super Moderator
11,848 Posts
When I think of high maintenance, I don't think of the things that owners should be doing with any dog: training, exercise, routine grooming . . .

I think of the above-and-beyond. Shar-Peis come to mind. That cute, wrinkly skin needs special attention and they are subject to some special health problems that most of us don't have to worry about - shar-pei fever, for example.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
any breed on or potentially on the BSL lists.

when everybody hates your dog because of what breed they are and are trying to have laws passed to have them restricted/put down..

your dog had better be the best behaved, most outstanding incredible dog you can get them to be.
Hm, and here I thought I had one of the lowest maintenance dog breeds. lol
I guess you are right though. It is definitely a consideration for anyone getting these breeds. For me, if I hadn't had 30+ years of great experiences with Rottweiler's I doubt I would be looking into getting one now. Then again, they are the cutest breed out there. ;) I might still think it was worth all the extra fuss. :D

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I consider pit bulls to be low maintenance in general terms...easy to groom, easy to train, relatively healthy...but...

I had a HARD time finding a rental that would allow her, I can't board her even if she wasn't DA because there are no boarding places here that I've found that will take them, I can't even really consider flying anywhere with her, some training places won't allow her, some VETS won't take her, im limited in places I can move should I decide to move out of town, can't do dog parks, if I try to buy a house its gonna be a pain getting homeowner's insurance... etc etc etc....if that's not high maintenance I don't know what is.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts