Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Nov. we took my dog, Chloe, in for her annual checkup. What I thought would be a quick and easy appointment turned out to bring to light a lot of issues we never expected. The doctor initially found that Chloe's back, upper molar was broken and recommended a root canal or extraction. Later, bloodwork came back to reveal Chloe had high kidney protein levels and leptospirosis.

We got Chloe on an antibiotic quickly for the leptospirosis. After a few weeks, we got bloodwork again to check on her status, especially before going in for dental surgery. I got the call yesterday that while she no longer has any signs of leptospirosis, her kidney protein levels are even higher than before.

Chloe was adopted from a shelter a year ago. We think she was about 1-3 yrs old when we got her, making her to be 2-4 now. She showed no health issues at her first exam. Her kidney protein levels were normal then, but on the high end. The vet suggested that this could be a congenital issue, although she wants an ultrasound done so we can figure out what is going on.

So here are my questions for those of you in the know:
  • Have any of you experienced congenital kidney disease with your dog? Anything you suggest doing to prolong life?
  • Could her dental issues or maybe something else be causing the high protein levels? Her bloodwork and urine test doesn't show any other issues. The only other known issue is the broken tooth.

After getting the call from the vet yesterday, I'm pretty devastated, thinking worse-case scenario here. The vet threw out the term "kidney failure" (can't quite remember in what context -- it was one of those moments where you catch just that horrible phrase and everything else is blocked out). My dog is still young, but at the age where it seems kind of late to be realizing that she has a congenital kidney issue and too early to be developing any true health issues with her kidneys. The vet seemed concerned, but not rushed to make a decision, so I won't have our follow-up appointment until next week.

As a side note, Chloe seems to act fine. The vet warned to watch for signs of vomiting, tiredness and loss of appetite. I did find what could be minor vomit in my bedroom right after the call from the vet, which made me more concerned, but it was such a tiny amount that it seemed like she may have just
spit up a treat. I haven't noticed any other signs of vomiting. Otherwise, she has been eating her food and sleeping like normal (she's always had a low appetite and has been kind of lazy, though).

I appreciate anyone with any insight. I'm having a hard time finding much info online, and I'm just very worried I'm going to lose my little fur baby.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
When I first started learning about canine kidney failure, I really relied heavily on dogaware.com. It's a wonderful resource for those dealing with KD.

The ultrasound will be very helpful, as it will reveal any cysts that may be on the kidneys (certain breeds are prone to polycystic kidney disease), among other things.

I'm really sorry you and Chloe are going through this. From experience, it's not something I would wish on anyone. But it doesn't mean Chloe won't live a long and happy life. The key is proper management and monitoring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really appreciate the response, PawsAddict. I just checked out dogaware and got some good info and ideas for things to ask the vet about.

I'm sorry to hear that you've also dealt with this, too, but it's good to hear that it is possible for it to be manageable. Everything I read the other day was very doom and gloom, but now I have a bit more hope. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you to all who replied and sent me PMs. Chloe had an ultrasound this week, and they found her kidneys appear abnormal. It is likely a congenital issue. I am now working on trying to find Chloe a good diet that will help prolong her life. Although I don't like the news we got, at least we know now and can work on taking the best care of her possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.