Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently rescued a 8 month old jack / pointer mix ( I think). I can usually wear him out at the dog park (1 hr +). Especially if there are other dogs but the weather has been horrible.
We still go on walks in the rain but don't hit the park.

I'm fearing the CT winters...

The kong, kong feeder and squirrel dude help but it usually turns into an hour or two of "fetch" in the living room.

·
Registered
115 Posts
With Gordon Setter, we knew that we signed up for at least an hour's run, preferably off leash a day. It definitely took a change in mentality for me. Now, we will often just appreciate the fact that we get out and get fresh air at times when we otherwise would have just stayed in (rain storms, icy cold winters, 7 am on a Saturday).

·
Registered
427 Posts
As long as the dog gets a good exerce you can also take the "tip of the iceberg" off by training your pup. Few things are as exhausting as getting the brain going. Get a clicker, some treats and start working. You can teach it tricks or useful things, no matter what you'll have a happy dog that's too tired to cause problems ... there's a reason why I started training my dog. LOL Now we're working because we both have so much fun with it.

Check the stickies on the training forum here on dogforums.com and there are a lot of resources listed to get started.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As long as the dog gets a good exerce you can also take the "tip of the iceberg" off by training your pup.
Let's say it has been pouring out all week or there is 3 feet of snow on the ground and I can't get him out for much of a walk. I need to take off more then the tip of the iceberg.

Any tips?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Do as you are doing and play with him inside, but do you have stairs?, you can sit up the top and throw his ball down them for him, he is also working harder to get back up the stairs too, also hide treats or toys for him round the house, with Holly i use her ball, it really works her mind, i also hide it under her toy box, and under a blanket just something different, do tricks with him too, if your worried about his weight and all the treats use a toy that he loves instead, as long as he will work for a toy, Holly works for treats and toys, well most of them time, there's only one time she will not work for anything yet!.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Let's say it has been pouring out all week or there is 3 feet of snow on the ground and I can't get him out for much of a walk. I need to take off more then the tip of the iceberg.

Any tips?
Lol, i was reading this, and i remember in winter, i was out with Holly for 3 hours in the snow, mix kids in with it too, she had a blast, the things i do for my dog, then again i must be mad, probably why i picked a BC!.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Any tips?
Type - Fun 'Nose Work' Ideas - into You Tube and you'll get a few great tips. Especially the tea bags (http://youtu.be/EJxG--4t3SU) towards the end.
If you type - Clicker training for dogs - into you tube you'll get hundreds of hits with examples of what you can do.

I know that if my girl doesn't get to use her brain on a regular basis she'll go stir crazy and find things to occupy it with on her own. Not something I want her to do at all, so I make sure she gets at least one "brainy" activity per day. Nose work of any kind is awesome ... it tires them much more and faster than you'd think. I guess it's concentration on a high level.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
One thing I do with Nash is I put him meal in a toy, show it to him. Put him in a down stay and then I got hide it somewhere. I go back and tell him to find his dinner. Not only does he have to use his nose to find it, he then has to work to get it out of the toy. Its a very nice game:) Also, certain tricks help use up some energy, repetitions of up/down/stand, teach the dog to jump straight into the air on command, roll over (both ways), sit pretty (sit with front legs up off the ground), spins (to both sides, use different commands for the different directions),, walking backwards, going backwards up the stairs, make a small jump out of PVC for rainy days. Nash needs mental stimulation, but he also needs to have some physical. Some days no matter how much training I do he just needs to do something physical, so we will go through all those for a bit and it helps and most of those work their core muscles which is good.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
3 feet of snow is a really good workout for a dog, LOL. Wears them out quick jumping through that stuff. :p.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts