Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is Roger. He has vaccination distemper. That being said, he twitches all the time and doesn't digest correctly and metabolizes too quickly to keep weight on. He's currently eating a combination of raw and TOTW kibble. He gets peanut butter and plain yogurt for a treat twice a day and several dog snacks twice a day...any other dog would be the size of a house, roger is still emaciated looking. He's not 'fit', he really is thin. He still has a good quality of life all things considering and is a very happy puppy. Anyway the point of this post; what other foods can we give him to help him keep he weight up or even gain weight,

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Do you feed him the RAW and kibble at the same time? They should not be fed at the same meal, b/c they digest differently. If you want to feed both, feed one at breakfast, and the other one at dinner. Also, look up TOTW recalls to make sure you're not feeding one of the recalled foods. How old and how big is your pup right now? How much are you feeding and how often?

With that being said, puppies often go through a lean stage. Try sorting out the method of feeding and see if that helps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
How are his stools? And i'm assuming he was tested for worms?

If I were trying to put weight on a dog I would go 100% raw for the best digestion/absorption. There are meats which are higher in fat and subsequently calories (such as beef) but with raw if you want the dog to gain weight... simply feed it more. How much are you currently feeding and what are you feeding? How old is the puppy?

Usually for puppies they suggest 10% of it's current body weight daily but I stop that once that amount overtakes the amount it would be eating as an adult (2-3% of it's ideal adult weight.) At which point I feed it like an adult and adjust if the dog is losing/gaining.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts