Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a dog that goes nutty when it is storming outside. It has been raining pretty bad here in Florida and yesterday we had a very bad- all day- thunderstorm (several inches of rain, flooding, tornadoes, etc.).
When she got home from work, she found that the dog had chewed a hole in the drywall and there was blood from his bleeding mouth all over the wall.
:eek:
She has tried Quiet Moments and it doesn't seem to work.
So. Do over the counter anxiety meds work? If so, which ones?
Do they make anti-anxiety script meds for dogs?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Oh my how sad. Perhaps they could try crating her? I know it comforts Ludo when there are fireworks. If he is out of his "den" he panics. I put him in the "den" and he calms right down. It is amazing how much that crate has done for Ludo.

As for anti anxiety things. There is a spray, I cannot recall the name perhaps someone else knows. It is a natural plant substance that is supposed to work wonders to calm down dogs.

I hope they find something that works. That is just sad.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Your friend knows positively that the wall chewing was done out of anxiety...not out of boredom and not mice behind the wall? Before giving any drugs you must be absolutely sure that's the right thing to do....that you're treating the right problem.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the biting is from the anxiety of the storms (also dreading the fireworks coming this weekend). It has been getting progressively worse and yesterday was bad. She is thinking about crating him and leaving a kong in there for something to do. She was also talking about these drops, Resuce Remedy(ies?), that you can get at the health-food store. And something about difusers that you plug into the wall? If anyone has had success using anything, I appreciate the feedback.
My dog has the same problem (hers and mine are border collies) but he doesn't eat the wall- he just shakes and hides behind the couch.
I guess that you can give prescription drugs, but it only relaxes the body and not mind? Is that true?

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
The stories I could tell you about storm anxiety. There are meds for dogs from the vet and if the dog is going to hurt himself, I strongly recommend them. It relaxes the body and mind...it's a tranquilizer. I have tried all the herbal, OTC things you can use and none of them worked. What does the dog do during a storm when someone is home?

Is the dog crated at other times? I would highly recommend trying the crating when someone is home because the dog could hurt himself in the crate as easily as out.

There is something out there called the Storm Defender (just type in the name in your search bar). It is a cloth wrap and I use it on Roxxy; it has helped a lot. She still shakes and pants but it's to a much lesser degree than without it. And when the thunder stops, she really relaxes and goes to sleep. I call it her Wonder Woman Cape. :cool:

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts