Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here & wanted to introduce our new puppy. Her name is Mia & she's a Shih Poo. I have always been a cat person & thought that if I got a dog, she would be a big dog but I saw Mia & fell in love with her. She's almost two months old & still needs to get one more shot in mid June so I have to wait before taking her on walks or introducing her to other animals. But I am so excited with all of the plans I have for her. She's doing really well with house training. The seller said that Mia had just started house training but the first few times she had to go potty, she went on the floor. But the last few times, she has been going on the newspaper. I am so happy. She is so small but a bundle of energy. She runs as fast as her little legs will carry her, loves to play with her toys & brings us such joy. As soon as she is fully vaccinated, I want to enroll her in a puppy training class. Does anyone know if Shih Poos are easy to train? I want her to get to experience all the fun things in life, not to be afraid of people or other animals, & most of all to be happy & healthy. I'm looking forward to reading all of the posts, learning new things, finding advice, and seeing all those cute photos of other people's dogs. I'm just happy to finally have a "baby" of my own. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Hello & welcome to df. Mia is gorgeous. So glad to hear of her progress. If you have any problems with her check out the stickys in First Time Dog Owners & Basic Questions.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Welcome to DF, and what an adorable puppy she is! This is a great forum for learning and talking to other dog lovers.

As for Shih Tzu/Poodle mixes' trainability, I can't say. Poodles are very smart (#1) dogs, though. But then again, every dog is an individual and some learn slower while others learn faster. Even IF she doesn't learn much from her puppy training class, it's a fantastic opportunity for socialization and a great way to start.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Your puppy looks so very sweet. I can see why you just fell in love with her. And as for introducing her to other animals, I've been through that with my puppy recently. I checked with a vet tech friend of mine and it's ok to let them meet other dogs as long as they've been fully vaccinated. I wouldn't bring her to a dog park or place like that yet though. So just in case you have a friend/family that has a dog it would be ok to start socialization. Hope you don't mind a little advice because when I was in your position I wanted to start socializing as soon as I could but still be safe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate your advice. I'm open to learning as much as possible especially because my decisions are going to affect my new baby. :) I bought a book & magazine & research something new every night online. I haven't taken her outside yet except we did take her for a short car ride yesterday but I'm not letting her walk on the ground & want to limit her exposure to outside (I read that a lot of diseases or whatever are airborn).

I know a lady that has a 6 year old Shitzu that is really friendly. She told me she would love to meet Mia one day & that her dog (Tinkerbell) is really friendly with other dogs so maybe Tink will be Mia's new best friend. :)

Thanks again for the advice & if you ever think of anything else, I'm always open to advice. The more knowledge, the better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts