Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
So your dog barks a lot...

Train it not to if you dont the barking will not go away on its own.
Are there triggers ie when it sees something or another dog etc.,, you could try the 'look at me'command the dog must focus on you and is rewarded with a treat when they focus on you not the trigger..( minus treats from daily food allowence) in the beginning you will need to start before the trigger reaches you and with more treats as time goes on the dog will learn and the trigger can get closer before you reward with less treats eventually the dog will ignore triggers and you can say doog dog and reward once.

This is NOT the dogs fault it is a reaction and lack of training,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well we got this dog when we had 2 dogs that were really quite old. they met eachother but this new dog was never really well met with our original dogs. they both died. we didnt walk them but we had a pretty big yard. ever since I got the new dog he could go and run and be happy in the yard.he isnt bad or anything, but he tries to bark at people and other dogs on walks. he will wait for the attention.

I pull his chain and he dont give af. he once was walking into 2 dogs about his size and he I think?? nibbled at the dog, i still dont know if if was their dog or mine i swear it wasnt mine but since he barks so much it prob was I had to quickly pull him toward me. the girl said it was my dog.. he is a shih tzu and I think he might just be terrirorial? how can I fix this?

·
Registered
410 Posts
For a start stop pulling the chain.you could seriously injure your dog if you're pulling on a chain think how much you weigh and how much he weighs it's just not fair.then try following the advice I gave you above train your dog that means actually putting some time and effort into getting the dog to behave the way you want it will take time and it's going to be work on your part but that's part of owning a dog you have to work at it.

no excuses and no comparing him to other dogs are the dogs other dogs he is his own person you need to get off your backside and train the dog

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
No, the dog will not bark less. Yanking his neck with a chain won't fix this either. It will probably make it worse.
The more the dog barks on his own in the yard the more he will bark there (and elsewhere). Barking is self rewarding.

Small dog, you should be able to shorten your leash and prevent him from reaching other dogs if on a walk. Never let your dog go up to other dogs when on leash (or off leash). It is very rude to do so.

You need to learn how to train your dog. It is a lot of subject matter. I suggest you read "How to Raise a Puppy You can Live with" by Clarice Rutherford as a start. Your dog will benefit from a lot of the information in that book (even if he is not a puppy anymore).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well he wears one of those body collar things.. but your right I shouldnt pull it or "yank" it. I was just legit hoping that when he gets older he would stop.. I got him a dog muzzle and he barks through it.. it's the smallest size they have.

I figure'd the best part of a dog walk was them meeting other dogs? doesnt that normally happen? idk I didnt know that was bad.. but can make sense that it is. I always feel dumb pulling my dog away from theirs.

o well maybe I can just try the treat thing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts