Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I found this website in my research of dog training and to clear my head. I have a lot of questions and want so much advice. We are in the process of adopting a Poodle. I have mild allergies but get along find after acclimation. Poodles are suppose to be hypoallergenic also so that's one of reasons we are going that route.

My husband and I have 4 children. Ages 6, almost 4, 2 and 5 months. We want a dog now as our human family expansion is O-V-E-R (with all caps!!) and I really have wanted a dog for 3+ years but it always seemed to get interrupted by a pregnancy before anything could pan out. Now that pregnancy is 100% off the table, we are ready! I have so many questions and would love advice. My #1 priority is to make sure the kids respect the dog and the dog respects the kids. I have raised my children with healthy boundaries concerning dogs. Especially ones they see out and about. They always ASK before approaching a dog. They always extend a hand and let the dog sniff. They always pet gently. IF i suspect a dog is not friendly, I simply tell the kids to keep walking and leave the dog alone and they do. If the dog is a working dog (therapy) I tell them they are working and cannot be bothered. Unless the trainer/owner initiates it is allowed. I'm not just stating this to toot my horn or anything. I never want to put my kids or a dog in a position where a bite will happen. I know even the most aware owners can end up with a bite accidents, because accidents happen, but being able to avoid them at all possible is my goal.

With that said - I know four kids and a puppy will be a challenge, so I joined to give myself head space and advice from people who are like minded and have likely been in my situation. :)

thank you
Ashley.

·
Registered
192 Posts
hi Ashley

Welcome to the forum.

My first tip would be that if the new dog gets uncomfortable with the kids' attention (curling the upper lip, a low growl) to immediately step in and make sure it doesn't escalate. It sounds like you're doing a great job raising them dog-wise but as you said: accidents happen.

When the dog either sleeps or eat make it an absolute ''no-no'' for the kids to approach since it can lead to a nip out of pure reflex from the dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks!! :D I definitely would separate if I saw those behaviors. The dog is upset and needs time alone. For house training the pup will be secluded to a little pup pen place, so that it doesn't think the house is his whole bathroom. And to make sure he/she is comfortable in a quiet area for their own. Feeding and sleeping will be there, but after that I have definitely told the kids already that messing with a dog while they sleep or eat is a HUGE no. My in laws have a great dane and she's WONDERFUL, super chill dog, but I always tell them not to mess with her eating. She'd never nip but she gets really distracted during eating and she is ideal weight but in the slim side so her eating times are really important. She goes through periods of not eating for whatever reason. So for all sorts of reasons, eating and sleeping is off limits for the kids. (and really anyone). A dog needs to feel safe to sleep when it wants and eat when it wants without feeling it will be disturbed.

Play will always be supervised until the puppy is adult, and since it will be MY dog, even then i'll most likely want to be within sight range. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts