Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a former stray lab/pit mix who is about a year old, probably less. His name is Waylon and I got him about 3 months ago. He's very cute, and very loving when he's calm, but we're having a lot of problems with training so I joined this site for advice.
He gets very excited, very easily, and doesn't like to listen. I've always heard "there are no stubborn dogs, just distracted/excited/untrained ones" but I've trained him to sit, shake, stay, leave it, and down, but he only does them when he wants to. I have to have a treat, and sometimes that doesn't even work. He likes to play, but he gets excited and uses his paws which causes scratches, or jumps on you when you're sitting down and tries to steal the toy from you. He jumps up and puts his front paws on the counter and doesn't respond when I tell him "down". If you ignore him (like when he wants to play or when he's behaving badly or when you're just sitting down watching TV) he nips and bites you and attacks your legs and hands, even if you keep them completely limp, like he's forcing you to play with him. The worst problem is that he pulls on the leash. He weighs 65 pounds and could probably pull a truck, and he takes forever to run out of energy. I've tried to train him to stop pulling by stopping when he pulls and putting my leg against his side, which seems to calm him down until we start walking again and then he pulls again. He goes where he wants, he gets into fights with other dogs (they literally snap through leashes to get to him. He must just be a huge jerk in the dog world) and he chokes himself. I have blisters covering my hands from holding his leash.
I know I haven't tried everything, but every training method I've tried (trying to revert his attention back to me doesn't work, treats don't work, every method I've read about or seen in a video doesn't work) DOESNT WORK. he's a big, stubborn, excited, aggressive mess. I've honestly considered the fact that he's deaf except I know he isn't because he responds to sounds when he isn't excited, and other dogs barking and stuff when he is. I love him and hes better off with me than on the street, but I'm so frustrated and I'm scared I'm gonna traumatize him with my negative emotions. Help?

·
Registered
180 Posts
First, get a no pull harness or a head halter for walks, that's going to do a lot to help you control him. Second, you may need a professional trainer to help him get over his reactivity and, learn how to interact with humans properly if the standard methods aren't working.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts