Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi, :wave: I just adopted my very first dog last Saturday! I've never had a pet before and am very excited for her to come home this weekend. She's a Maltichon (Maltese and Bichon Frise Mix) She's 10 weeks old and less than 2 lbs and will be 10 lbs max.
Since I am new to all this, I will have lots of questions and this board will be a great resource!

·
Registered
928 Posts
She's less than 2lbs at 10 weeks and you think she'll be 10lbs at adult?
Typically small breeds (both the maltese and the bichon frise) gain weight quicker than larger breeds (because they stop gaining weight quicker).
According to this site if both the Maltese and the Bichon Frise weighed less than 2 pounds (I put 1.9lbs) at 10 weeks they would weight 4.5lbs at their adult size.
This site says that the "Maltichon" will weight between 8-12lbs at adult size.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi! And congratulations to taking the steps to puppyhood! Get ready for the next few weeks to be full of sleepless nights and many learning curves! LOL!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The place I adopted from said 7-10 but that was in general with her and her 2 brothers (she is a lot smaller than them) Thanks! I want a little dog fully grown so that fine. I got a small crate but prob should've gotten the XS! I have the divider in it. Question- once she is crate trained (meaning she won't go to the bathroom in it) Is it okay to let her sleep in the whole thing? Or should I always keep it smaller since she's so little? I am going to start with puppy pads by the front door and eventually get her to go outside (i live in an apartment so i have to go out with her)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you ckasnoff! I keep hearing i will have sleepness nights! I am on new medicine where i haven't been sleeping anyway, so i guess now is a good time to be getting her!! (i take her home Sat at noon!!) I can't wait!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like prefect timing to me! The general rule of thumb that I was taught when it came to crate training was that the crate be big enough for the dog/puppy to stand straight, turn around and lay down. That discourages from using the crate as a restroom unless they are from a pet store or puppy mill where they are used to going potty in the same area they sleep. And even though it's a nightmare, if try and start the puppy going potty outside asap. Keep a pad around for when you're not home (since she is so tiny and had that small bladder), because once she is used to using only the pad there is a very good chance it'll be harder to get her to go outside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it hard to do both pads and outside? I prefer to teach her to go outside, but i'm chronically ill (big reason i wanted to get a pet) so there are times i'm not doing well and need to sleep for a few days with hardly getitng up, and thought it would be nice to have her trained to go on the puppy pads so in case i'm not able to wake up, i know she is okay and has a backup. Or do i really need to stick with one or the other?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've also seen a friends dog that rings a bell on the door when they need to be let out. Was thinking of getting a bell and trying to teach her from the beginning if i can so i can hear her if i'm in bed. Has anybody done this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmmmm..... I think it depends on the dog. My schnauzer had a rough transition from pad to outside and now will only use the pad if we are visiting my mother. She has two Chihuahua's that go both on a pad and outside, but one won't go poop on the pad. And my new puppy who is roughly twelve weeks had used a pad twice in a week and half. Only to pee and once was in the middle of the night. He rather do his business outside.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I have Shih Tzu x Maltese and the pups that are 2 lbs. at 8 weeks ended up about 7-10 lbs. I would have a pen set up for the puppy and train her to puppy pads. With a small dog, it is not that hard to have them trained to the pads and going outside when you are able to take them out. If you start out with pads covering the floor in the pen, then gradually reduce the number as the puppy chooses a spot it likes to go on it works best. You can also get a potty patch of grass they sell if you find they just tear up the puppy pads. They come in a type of frame that lets the pee go through into a tray and you put a puppy pad under the grass part.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The place I adopted from said 7-10 but that was in general with her and her 2 brothers (she is a lot smaller than them) Thanks! I want a little dog fully grown so that fine. I got a small crate but prob should've gotten the XS! I have the divider in it. Question- once she is crate trained (meaning she won't go to the bathroom in it) Is it okay to let her sleep in the whole thing? Or should I always keep it smaller since she's so little? I am going to start with puppy pads by the front door and eventually get her to go outside (i live in an apartment so i have to go out with her)
Like ckasnoff said the general rule of thumb is not much space, but my Chihuahua's crate is too big for him and he never soils it so.
He sees it's entirety as his den so it's never been an issue.
I use potty pads and outside personally and never had an issue with the transition.
I had an initial issue with using the potty pads here,
but now I'm down to one pad next to the door. He goes outside no problem whenever we take him out and we've had no accidents in I can't remember how long (and everyone says Chis are impossible to housebreak).
The bell is good if your dog doesn't give any cues that they need to go outside to potty. They have to be fully potty trained before you introduce the bell.
Mine whines at the door or does the sniff circle thing so it's never been something I felt like I needed to do, if he stopped though I'd train him to do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have Shih Tzu x Maltese and the pups that are 2 lbs. at 8 weeks ended up about 7-10 lbs. I would have a pen set up for the puppy and train her to puppy pads. With a small dog, it is not that hard to have them trained to the pads and going outside when you are able to take them out. If you start out with pads covering the floor in the pen, then gradually reduce the number as the puppy chooses a spot it likes to go on it works best. You can also get a potty patch of grass they sell if you find they just tear up the puppy pads. They come in a type of frame that lets the pee go through into a tray and you put a puppy pad under the grass part.
Everyone keeps saying NOT to put the pads in the crate b/c you don't want them to go to the bathroom in it? Or are you saying the pen as a whole separate idea to the crate?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi, Welcome! I am a newbie too and also have a little guy -- we have a Lhasa-Maltipoo who is know 11 weeks old and weighs 2.52 lbs (but that was a week or so ago so he might be a tad bigger). He was 2.2 lbs when we got him and then two weeks later we had him weighed and he was 2.52 lbs. Looking forwarding to meeting everyone and learning LOTS!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts