Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are trying to be organized and think everything through before we bring our puppy home. A few questions:

-location of crate. We want to place the crate in the living room but we also want to buy a baby gate to give the puppy some space and also for their potty area. We will be home for the 1st week but then we go back to work. When we go to work, we wanted to leave the crate door open so she can go potty. Do you guys think that is okay? Would you use newspaper or pee pads? I am also concerned about keeping the crate in the living room because it is near the door so she will always see us leaving so that makes me sad but I really don't want her to be confined to a bathroom or kitchen. I figure we can put on the tv for her and obviously lotz of chew toys when we are not home. Any advice is appreciated or how did you handle the crating when you went back to work. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We had the crate in an expen with the crate door open for the first few MONTHS of having the puppy until he could go both overnight, and in between breakfast/lunch and lunch/after work walks without peeing. We gave him pads at first, which he used reliably without prompting (no idea how that happened!), but sometime around 12-14 wks he started shredding them instead of using them, so we took them away at that point. We then waited another solid month before crating him overnight, just to make sure he wasn't going to pee, and we have kept him in the pen during the day while we work. I'm not comfortable with him having freedom in the house, even in the baby gated areas. He just can't be trusted yet. Not just bathroom things, he's actually pretty good with that, but I don't trust him not to get bored and chew stuff up. I'd rather know he's safe.

Even the week you're home I would put your puppy wherever he's going to be when you're at work for gradually longer amounts of time every day, and then leave. It's going to be a huge shock if you're there all the time and then suddenly gone.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't recommend pee pads or newspaper...you will end up doing double potty training and that is if you can break the pup from the pads at all. The first week you are home with the puppy should establish the same routine as if you were at work. The age and breed of the puppy will play into the potty training process. If the puppy is under 12 weeks, count on getting up a couple times in the middle of the night(you'll be lucky if this doesn't happen) and up until the puppy is older and depending on the size, I would think that you should have someone come in mid day to let the puppy out. For example...I have a 9 month old GSD that I got when she was 12 weeks..at night she was out of the crate and sleeping with me when she was 16 weeks, by the time she was about 6.5 months she is out of crate completely. She is let out every 4-6 hours, closer to every 4 hours every day. A puppy will have a hard time holding it for 8-10 hours. Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts