Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have quite a long story and I have been told by several friends and family members to start a blog about it. I figured I would start here first in a dog loving community. I have a Border Collie/Aussie Shepherd mix. She is 3 1/2 and a resuce from South Carolina. She was left on the side of the road and someone brought her to a kill shelter and my mother, who was a kennel manager for a resuce at the time, was picking up dogs to resuce and saw this beautiful little puppy on the side and the woman at the shelter gave my mom the puppy. From then on she became known as Effe Bleu. She is very fun and loving and definately needs a job to do. Effe has a ton of energy and loves to run and play and it just so happens her best friend and I believe her mate, Ted is my mom's dog. He is around the same age and is also a rescue.

So, the story starts with a fight between a dog and a raccoon resulting in a partially amputated finger for me and the sad loss of my dog Porter. Porter was a 5 1/2 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi and he went after this raccoon going into the garbage. I went to grab him and he accidentally bit off part of my finger as he turn his head to snap at the other animal. With his loss I am feeling an even bigger concern for Effe in my current situation.

I am a Private Chef for high profile clients and have been doing so for over 3 years. With the partial loss of my middle finger I was unable to work right away and am now looking for a full time position but it has been a struggle. So, I decided to stay with my Mother in he home. It is a rental property that is a duplex and is next to her Landlord's home. The property is right on a little river and has a huge fenced in yard for the dogs to run and play. She has been living there for over 3 months and rarely saw her last neighbor. Her last neighbor left and her landlord found new tenants. When they came to look at the property we introduced the dogs and they seemed to be ok with the animals and enjoyed their company. The female and child of the couple are really engaging with the dogs and play with them outside. The Male in the couple is not engaging with anyone and quite offensive and frankly rude.

He has been making coments about just anyhting the dogs do. There was a coment made about the dog poop, which is picked up as they go. We don't like to leave it because it is gross in the yard. There was another issue with the dogs barking, but Dogs bark and usually if ours do its for good reason. There was an iccident where my dog, Effe, jumped to kiss the son and the mother because they play with her all the time. I held her down and got her distracted and appologized for it but they, the couple, didnt respond. The whole issue came to a head on Labor Day when my Mom confronted him about the situation to try and work things out. He towered over my mother screaming at her. I have never seen such a scene before in my life and I came outside to try and calm him down. He kept screaming that he would lie about scratches on his ankle to get the dogs killed. He then told her he would annihilate the dogs and her if she continued to stay in her apartment. This is after the new tenants lving on the property for 1 1/2 weeks.

I went to the landlord while this was happening and he refused to address it. He is 78 and speaks very little english and so i decided to call the Police. The officer who arrived made it a dog issue and said we need to get the local dog warden to the property to help the landlord decide a plan of action but never addressed the threats this man made towards our lives and our dogs lives. So we followed up again at the station the next day and spoke to more officers because how unfair is it to not feel safe in your own home? This whole sitauation is awful and now we know the neighbor is on antidepressants and tranquilizers for anger and agression issues. With just losing my job and no money or work and my savings dwindling how can i afford to move.

I need advise. I had to put my other dog, Porter, down becuase of my accident and the fact that he had sevre hip displaysia and as the vet put it, a mental imbalance, and I cannot lose this dog. I don't trust the neighbor wont try to leave rat poinson in treats in the yard and even try to inject the dogs with something. Our walls are very thin and we have heard these things transpire. So, I know my part in this. I know my dog shouldn't have jumped to see the neighbors and i tried to appologize and discuss that with them and this is what it turned in to. Wha tshould I do and has anyone ever dealt with a mentally unstable neighbor?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am not a lawyer or can give honest legal advice. But what I can advise is to keep your dogs on a leash at all times. Take them out when the neighbors are not present if at all possible. Make a log of everything. The dates and times of any confrontations. Anything that can be used in a court of law. Just remember that many of these things we hear and see ... in a court of law ... can be used as "hearsay" only. Not everything holds water.

I also would be sure to have a witness handy ... take the dogs out together (You and Mom) ... not alone ... if at all possible. I am not sure if this holds water either since you are related and it can be construed as being bias or being in it together. :(

Make certain you do pick up the poo immediately .... even maybe walk the dogs and take poo bags with you instead ... if at all possible. Be sure your dogs do not eat anything from the yard!

Also ... if you have a county prosecutors office ... contact them with your concerns. They should be able to direct you to the proper sources.

Don't give these folks any fuel for the fire!

I know all of this sounds like a real pain ... but until you are employed and have the ability to move ........

This is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

As far as dealing with unstable people .... I had a landlord a long time ago who rented me an apartment for a very large sum ... and I was not allowed to make my office in the basement??? :/ This person did many strange things ... and the walls were paper thin ... as they were occupying the other side of the duplex. I often worried about them snapping all of a sudden. I moved.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would personally stay far, far away from these people, the mother and son included. Have absolutely NOTHING to do with them. No more playtime with them. I wouldn't let my dogs in that yard for fear that he would put down poison. Walk them away from that yard if you can. I also agree with the suggestion above that you document everything. This guy sounds abusive and controlling. I would take his threats to harm my dogs seriously. When people show you who they are, believe them.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Move. Your neighbor sounds like a lunatic.

I have quite a long story and I have been told by several friends and family members to start a blog about it. I figured I would start here first in a dog loving community. I have a Border Collie/Aussie Shepherd mix. She is 3 1/2 and a resuce from South Carolina. She was left on the side of the road and someone brought her to a kill shelter and my mother, who was a kennel manager for a resuce at the time, was picking up dogs to resuce and saw this beautiful little puppy on the side and the woman at the shelter gave my mom the puppy. From then on she became known as Effe Bleu. She is very fun and loving and definately needs a job to do. Effe has a ton of energy and loves to run and play and it just so happens her best friend and I believe her mate, Ted is my mom's dog. He is around the same age and is also a rescue.

So, the story starts with a fight between a dog and a raccoon resulting in a partially amputated finger for me and the sad loss of my dog Porter. Porter was a 5 1/2 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi and he went after this raccoon going into the garbage. I went to grab him and he accidentally bit off part of my finger as he turn his head to snap at the other animal. With his loss I am feeling an even bigger concern for Effe in my current situation.

I am a Private Chef for high profile clients and have been doing so for over 3 years. With the partial loss of my middle finger I was unable to work right away and am now looking for a full time position but it has been a struggle. So, I decided to stay with my Mother in he home. It is a rental property that is a duplex and is next to her Landlord's home. The property is right on a little river and has a huge fenced in yard for the dogs to run and play. She has been living there for over 3 months and rarely saw her last neighbor. Her last neighbor left and her landlord found new tenants. When they came to look at the property we introduced the dogs and they seemed to be ok with the animals and enjoyed their company. The female and child of the couple are really engaging with the dogs and play with them outside. The Male in the couple is not engaging with anyone and quite offensive and frankly rude.

He has been making coments about just anyhting the dogs do. There was a coment made about the dog poop, which is picked up as they go. We don't like to leave it because it is gross in the yard. There was another issue with the dogs barking, but Dogs bark and usually if ours do its for good reason. There was an iccident where my dog, Effe, jumped to kiss the son and the mother because they play with her all the time. I held her down and got her distracted and appologized for it but they, the couple, didnt respond. The whole issue came to a head on Labor Day when my Mom confronted him about the situation to try and work things out. He towered over my mother screaming at her. I have never seen such a scene before in my life and I came outside to try and calm him down. He kept screaming that he would lie about scratches on his ankle to get the dogs killed. He then told her he would annihilate the dogs and her if she continued to stay in her apartment. This is after the new tenants lving on the property for 1 1/2 weeks.

I went to the landlord while this was happening and he refused to address it. He is 78 and speaks very little english and so i decided to call the Police. The officer who arrived made it a dog issue and said we need to get the local dog warden to the property to help the landlord decide a plan of action but never addressed the threats this man made towards our lives and our dogs lives. So we followed up again at the station the next day and spoke to more officers because how unfair is it to not feel safe in your own home? This whole sitauation is awful and now we know the neighbor is on antidepressants and tranquilizers for anger and agression issues. With just losing my job and no money or work and my savings dwindling how can i afford to move.

I need advise. I had to put my other dog, Porter, down becuase of my accident and the fact that he had sevre hip displaysia and as the vet put it, a mental imbalance, and I cannot lose this dog. I don't trust the neighbor wont try to leave rat poinson in treats in the yard and even try to inject the dogs with something. Our walls are very thin and we have heard these things transpire. So, I know my part in this. I know my dog shouldn't have jumped to see the neighbors and i tried to appologize and discuss that with them and this is what it turned in to. Wha tshould I do and has anyone ever dealt with a mentally unstable neighbor?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts