Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Matt and im looking for my first dog, I know next to nothing about dog breeds and their names. And im looking for a truly beautiful dog that everyone would want to take home with them.

I'm looking for:

a pure white dog, similar to a samoyed (I think that a samoyed would be a little too big, I have a small place).

As mentioned im looking for a medium sized dog

Im not sure what the technical name for it is, but the bridge between forehead to the snout on the american eskimo is a little much for my likeing. i prefer the wedge shape of the samoyed or a sheltie.

Id like a longer hair dog vs no/reallyshort hair, IE no pitbull type dogs.

With those as LOOSE guidelines what dog would you suggest for me?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Alaskan Klee Kai based purely on looks- though you may want to research what you want personality wise. Looks are fine but if the dog looks nice and has a terrible personality or a personality you don't like you won't be happy either.

·
Registered
148 Posts
IMHO, that's the wrong way to look for a dog. Looks do factor in to some extent, but I think temperament, exercise requirements, health issues, etc., should be far more important than, "I want everyone to be jealous of me." It's not picking a piece of furniture to just look at or a sports car to be admired. It's a living creature that needs care and love, even if one day its looks fail on it. I mean, getting picky about the size of a snout?? I don't get it at all.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you want something that looks nice to make people jealous get a nice car. A dog is definately a case of pretty is as pretty does. A dog is a companion that should be a joy to have around. Keeping that in mind you should look for a dog that will suit your lifestyle.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Let me tell you from experience that owning a Nordic breed is extremely challenging. They have very high exercise, training and GROOMING requirements! If all you care about is looks, then you are not seeing the whole picture of dog ownership, which is not good...you will not be happy when you find out that your dog is more than a novelty and is in fact highly in demand of your attention and care. Please research the breeds you are interested in rather than just staring at photos. If you don't, I'm afraid I really wouldn't recommend any dog for you, regardless of looks.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I don't mean to be rude, but your only qualifications are looks. You do realize that a dog does stuff, right? You're going to be spending hours a day walking, training, grooming, and generally caring for the dog. If you can't think of a single thing you care about other than the way the dog looks, DON'T GET A DOG. Please. Do yourself and the dog a favor and just get a nice car or a painting or something.

If you do get a dog, when you dump it because you didn't really want a dog in the first place, please call a rescue so the dog has some chance of a good home.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Hi, my name is Matt and im looking for my first dog, I know next to nothing about dog breeds and their names. And im looking for a truly beautiful dog that everyone would want to take home with them.

I'm looking for:

a pure white dog, similar to a samoyed (I think that a samoyed would be a little too big, I have a small place).

As mentioned im looking for a medium sized dog

Im not sure what the technical name for it is, but the bridge between forehead to the snout on the american eskimo is a little much for my likeing. i prefer the wedge shape of the samoyed or a sheltie.

Id like a longer hair dog vs no/reallyshort hair, IE no pitbull type dogs.

With those as LOOSE guidelines what dog would you suggest for me?

Thanks,
Matt
I would first suggest reading the first time dog owners forum to get an idea of what entails owning a dog ... and dog vs puppy. Different breeds have different needs. Some are really high energy and require tons of exercise ... some are high grooming maintenance ... it all depends on what your lifestyle is like, the amount of time you can give, the amount of money it will take for grooming and vet cost ... etc.

I have found some of my best dogs were mixes. The health issues of these rescue dogs are never certain .... but I like rescues to obtain a dog. Every dog can have health issues .........

If you want a purebred you will need to see all health testing of a pups ancestry and also go to a reputable breeder. There is just so much to take into consideration.

I am only saying all of this because it is the internet and I may be wrong ... but I am interpreting what you are saying as being unclear to the responsibilities of dog ownership in general. Forgive me, I apologize if I am wrong. :)

As for breeds ... if you are not concerned with a purebred ... there a thousands and more dogs who may fit your description in rescues and shelters.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Have you thought about maybe just getting a stuffed animal? ;-) They're pretty and they come in all shapes and colors LOL

All joking aside, nordic breeds are not for someone only interested in looks. Samoyeds are high energy sled dogs who can also herd. do you sled? do you do any herding?

The only breed I can think of right of hand is a keeshond, but they ONLY come in wolf sable. There is occasionally a white one born, but they are throw backs and are rare.

Keeshonden are prone to luxating patellas, nuisance barking, VonWillebrand's disease, thyroid issues, and alopecia X.

They're a bit smaller and more compact then a samoyed, they have a wedge shaped head, they don't need as much exercise as a sam because they're very straight angulated.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Volunteer at a humane society or shelter, and get experience as to what personality you like in a dog. What do you want the dog to do? Just look pretty? Get a stuffed toy.
After you see the differences in breed types, if you still want a white dog, there are tons of dogs that need homes,s that may fit what you want. I understand wanting one you think is pretty, but please don't let that be the reason you get a dog.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I think you need to evaluate what you intend to do with the dog. They aren't living stuffed animals. They require attention to their medical, training, nutritional, grooming, companionship, and activity needs.

I had a truly beautiful rough collie -- the photo in my avatar does not nearly do him justice; it was the only one on my computer. In the 8 years I had him, not a day went by that I did not marvel over how beautiful he was. His appearance was not the best thing about him, of course, just a bonus. I really loved looking at him, kind of like he was a living work of art.

I looked at collies after ours died from lymphoma and liver cancer. Every one of them around here has eyes that I think are too small and not almond shaped. If my kids had not been adamantly against our getting a collie because ours could not be replaced, I would have gotten one. But not from this area -- I would have been willing to travel in a radius of 500 miles from my home to find a breeder that had collies with eye sizes that meet the breed standard in my opinion. Why? Because every day I have to look at the dog and small eyes would bother me.

So, I understand your concern about a dog's beauty and head to a point. I think that you need to consider why you want a dog that everyone else thinks is so beautiful that people envy you for having it. What is that going to do for you? What need of yours is that going to fulfill? Do you think that perhaps you need to accomplish something so that people will respect you, like you, look up to you? Think about why what other people think about your dog matters to you so much. I realize that caring about what people think is a normal human feeling, but what you think about yourself is tons more important to your well-being.

My dog, Aidan, is very cute. He is extremely friendly and literally everyone who meets him says he is like a living stuffed animal, so soft, they want one. When I take him to town, total strangers tell me they want a dog just like him. No, they do not. He is not "like a stuffed animal" since life does not imitate art. The amount of time and attention he requires is more than all the dogs I've ever had put together, unless I want him to rule the roost and destroy everything in it.

I think Aidan is cute, but not beautiful. I selected his breed because I thought he would fit well into our family and I have the time, desire, money, and ability to make sure he has a happy life from his point of view. I made sure his appearance met breed standard because I am not going to pay a lot of money for a purebred dog that does not. He did not have to be *perfect*, but he did have to look like a good example of his breed.

There are other breeds I would have preferred to own -- collies are my favorite, but I also adore pit bulls, rotties, dobies, and basically any large and powerful dog breed. But I cannot give those breeds the life they deserve, except for collies. That is what I hope you will take into consideration when choosing a dog.

I do get a lot of satisfaction from Aidan's bond with me, and his health, appearance (due to my grooming him daily), and behavior. These are things that I put a lot of time and effort into, so my satisfaction is from the results of my efforts. We have a long way to go, and having a happy dog is a big deal to me. When people notice these things, I feel proud because Aidan and I earned those compliments. I am not so proud when he eats the couch, but people outside the family don't witness those lovely moments.

A dog requires a lot of attention and care. Your focus should be on what you can offer the dog, in terms of making sure its life is a happy and healthy one, from the dog's point of view (which IMO includes being well trained). Any extra outside attention or benefit you derive from owning a dog is a bonus, not a reason to own one. A dog is not a status symbol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am getting ready for work so i dont have time for a full reply or to read all the replys, thanks a lot for all you guys responding. Please dont assume that just because i wanted a nice white dog does not mean that i wont be grooming or walking it or playing with it profusely, it is not just making people jelous, its also my FAVORITE type of dog by FAR, and i dont like a lot of dog breeds tbh. My landlords have 2 shelties and they are about as high strung as ive ever seen a dog, i can handle them just fine. When i get home from work or on lunch i will provide a proper reply.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would never buy a dog based on looks alone, breed compatibility is far more important for long term success.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am home from work, i feel that i should clarify. This is MY first dog, i am not new to owning dogs, my family has 3. My yard is fenced off, safe, secure, and within FEET of the ocean and beach. I gave some guidelines to give me some ideas of different breeds since i dont know any of their names (makes it hard to find them) that meet those criteria since that is the type of dog that i want. Once i have the names of the breeds that loosely follow the guidelines i posted originally I will then do many many hours research before deciding which dog i would like to get. It has nothing to do with impressing people, i was simply using that as an analogy since it depicts the type of dog that i would like to own. I can also bring my dog to work and he would have lots of room to run around and play (i own my own store and it has a nice grass area overlooking the ocean)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Have you decided where you are going to obtain this dog from? A breeder? A shelter? A rescue? Are you set on a purebred, or interested in a mixed breed?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
So what are your ideas of what you want the dog to do? Do you hike, bike, jog, walk, plan on any competition, only companionship? Do you have or plan on children? What is your climate? Do you want an easy to groom, wash and weather lol, or plan on monthly grimed visits?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi Matt

I think you'd enjoy going to a dog show and meeting the breeders of attractive, pedigreed dogs.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
You mentioned eskies but are you really sure you don't care for them? much of what you have described is an eskie. Below is our girl as a pup & adult. Our eskie, and many (not all) that we've met are sweet & social, some can be high strug hyper or aloof. Our girl has a great even temperament, just choose a pup wisely. She loves to go for rides in the car, go places, prance as people watch her, we get asked many questions all the time to the point a 5 min home depot run is an hour. We have, more than once, had people stop to take photos of her (one actually followed us at a pet event, was weird). She is content to have a lazy day yet loves to run or just go for a walk. We let her get as muddy as she wants, by the time she dries she is back to pure white again.

Shelties are also fantastic dogs, totally different mentality than an eskie.

As for your descriptions I am also one that likes the beauty of a supper fluffy white dog, so majestic looking to me.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
If you have the time and the energy for a high energy dog itself ... I met a dog at Christmas that was not only attractive but a big dog in a little dogs body ... I fell in love with it's personality that was larger than life and very assured. It was Axel, a West Highland White Terrier. Smaller than what you stated ... but you did say loosely. :) I too lived on the ocean ( not sure where you are located but I was in the sub tropics) and most people there had shorter haired dogs. Actually there were many Labs there for swimming and boating. Salt water and hair issues as you know are cause for a little more care when it comes to grooming.( at least for humans) You also mentioned a small living quarters.

Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You mentioned eskies but are you really sure you don't care for them? much of what you have described is an eskie. Below is our girl as a pup & adult. Our eskie, and many (not all) that we've met are sweet & social, some can be high strug hyper or aloof. Our girl has a great even temperament, just choose a pup wisely. She loves to go for rides in the car, go places, prance as people watch her, we get asked many questions all the time to the point a 5 min home depot run is an hour. We have, more than once, had people stop to take photos of her (one actually followed us at a pet event, was weird). She is content to have a lazy day yet loves to run or just go for a walk. We let her get as muddy as she wants, by the time she dries she is back to pure white again.

Shelties are also fantastic dogs, totally different mentality than an eskie.

As for your descriptions I am also one that likes the beauty of a supper fluffy white dog, so majestic looking to me.
I only saw a few pictures and liked everything except that nose bridge it made its face look square, but as previously stated by someone else that is a small feature that i most assuredly could get over, i just happened to like the samoyed face better, but i believe that dog is too large.

How would you compare a sheltie to an eski in terms of personality or behavior?

And i agree, they do look very elegant and majestic, the main reason i want one.

If you have the time and the energy for a high energy dog itself ... I met a dog at Christmas that was not only attractive but a big dog in a little dogs body ... I fell in love with it's personality that was larger than life and very assured. It was Axel, a West Highland White Terrier. Smaller than what you stated ... but you did say loosely. :) I too lived on the ocean ( not sure where you are located but I was in the sub tropics) and most people there had shorter haired dogs. Actually there were many Labs there for swimming and boating. Salt water and hair issues as you know are cause for a little more care when it comes to grooming.( at least for humans) You also mentioned a small living quarters.

Just a thought. :)
Thanks for the help, it sounds like a great dog. I dont really like terriers, my grandpa (whome i dislike) has many of them. Fortunately for my future alpine dog, i live in canada on an island on the west coast so they wont get too hot here especially in the summer. + the ocean + pool + river will help cool them.

So what are your ideas of what you want the dog to do? Do you hike, bike, jog, walk, plan on any competition, only companionship? Do you have or plan on children? What is your climate? Do you want an easy to groom, wash and weather lol, or plan on monthly grimed visits?
I dont plan on joining any competitions, or subjecting my dog to that sort of life, she will get a nice house to live in, and a nice area to run around in and to go for walks, and play fetch. Mans best friend you know.

Hi Matt

I think you'd enjoy going to a dog show and meeting the breeders of attractive, pedigreed dogs.
I dont believe there are any dog shows or breeder meetings where i live, being an island and all we dont have the luxury of having everything readily accessible

Have you decided where you are going to obtain this dog from? A breeder? A shelter? A rescue? Are you set on a purebred, or interested in a mixed breed?
I will find what ever way i can to buy the dog i choose, a breeder is probably the best bet, though im not really sure, thats why i signed up here. I am not set on a purebred, but that would probably be the best bet.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts