Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new here from Georgia. I am reaching out because my little chihuahua type dog Oscar is chronically ill. I am having trouble dealing with it, in part because I am chronically ill.

The poor guy hasn't been himself since he was neutered at age 5 or so. He got some kind of horrible skin problem that waxes and wanes.

Oscar is this jolly dog, he is the cutest, he looks like a jackrussel/chihuahua mix. He has always coughed, I found out his mother had the same problem. Diagnosed with allergies and possible collapsed trachea, he was doing okay till he was neutered.

The humane society neutered him and our other dog and cat. Each animal had a hairless patch that soon turned into a scab. On the cat, it flaked off, the hair grew in brown on a white cat, then faded over the last year, the other dog fought it too and just ended up with some dark hairs. Poor little Oscar is struggling.

I called the humane society a month later (I had thought it perhaps was just a reaction to something they were given, the other two animals were getting better). The vet said, "yeah we had a little rescue dog here with demodex we are trying to cure but can't, its really contagious." She refused to see or treat my dog because he was "sick" even though it was with what she gave him.

We treated him for mange, it got better some, then came back, with red lines all over the skin kind of like blood poisoning. He started coughing worse and coughing up more, we took him to a vet with a big practice. That vet said it looked like staph. He gave him doxycycline and prednisone. He got better the hair grew back and immediately after cessation of medication it all came right back. so I called the vet, I get paid once a month so I needed to post date a debit card payment by three days. He refused to see Oscar. He said he would leave some more of the same round of medications at the desk, but I must come up with the money to pay for them. We did manage to do that (mind you the vet is an hour away, so we have to have gas money for that).

This time the meds didn't work so well. He got a little better.

Now all this time I didn't tell you that both my son and I were getting sores when we come in contact with Oscar. It took me a few months to heal the ones I got, it took my son about a month and he got a scar from it. Oscar had laid on his pillow while he was using the computer and then he didn't think it was contagious and slept on it and got a big patch of staph or whatever it is on his cheek.

Oscar was holding his own for a while, getting even alot better at times. We gave him his allergy medicine and bathed him and treated his sores. But when he gets bad, he gets worse than he was before. Sometimes he just lays and pants, tearing up and looking at me like he is totally miserable.

He's at the vet again, the vet just called. She said she thinks it is a flea allergy. My dogs don't have fleas, but he could have got some just recently because I did bathe him two days ago to ease his itching and he has not had his flea treatment yet.

I got care credit and told her to just do xrays, to make sure he is not really sick or having a tumor or something and bloodpanel with liver and all kinds of stuff, and heartworm and bordetello and all. Its expensive and I am on disability.

Yea!!! I heard back from the vet and he has no bad bloodwork, just an ear infection, skin allergy that is infected (the shampooing might have dried him out), and confirmation of the collapsed trachea. And I learned there is a pill for that and since he is doing better than he looks and acts, he can start it, along with an allergy shot, special flea/heartworm/worm pills, and antibiotics. He doesn't have any visible tumors they can see or any foreign object obstructions or anything of concern, she said she didn't see asthma, though the trachea can cause those type of symptoms. I feel so much better. She said it may not be all resolved, it may be ongoing, but that she thinks this will do the trick perhaps for good on the skin thing and the collapsed trachea pill will improve that even!

OSCAR before neutering
oscar.JPG

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hello and welcome, so sorry for you and poor Oscar for all his troubles, hope all goes well for him. Good Luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts