Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Kim, and Duke (a Siberian Husky) is my guide/service dog (I've been blind and had Cerebral Palsy since birth and became a quadriplegic in 2004 after a spinal cord injury). He was a rescue dog who was with three different families before we met each other and a dog 'trainer' deemed him to be 'untrainable' even as a family pet and suggested he be 'put down'! All because his 'training methods' involved nothing but dominating the dogs and Duke was 'difficult' (wouldn't listen to someone who was correcting him harshly before the 'training' even started etc.

Luckily another trainer saw the potential he had after working with him without the aggression for a while and I went to the UK to train with him for six months. Within that six months he was already guiding me flawlessly (he's a natural), and once he had his guiding down we concentrated on working on assistance dog tasks (fetching things, pushing buttons etc.)

All this 'untrainable' dog needed was someone to love him, work with him (not force him to do things exactly the way the person wanted him to do them) and a job (or two)! He's extremely happy with his new life, and I'm so grateful for all the help he give me and for the independence he allows me to have!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! :D Sounds like you two have a great life together now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts