Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I'm new to the forum. Nice to meet you all!

I am seeking training advice for my 6 month old male husky / aussie mix.

Overall, a very good dog. Potty trained fast, knows sit down stay rollover, and come with no distractions.

My main issue is that he is overly friendly. When walking, he wants to say hi to EVERYONE. He loves people, kids, dogs, cats you name it.

So when we are walking w/o distractions, he's perfect. But if he sees anybody or any dog, he immediately starts to pull. I have tried waiting until he sits before moving forward again, but as soon as I start walking again he pulls.

I walk with training food and that helps alot. He will focus on the food when we are far away, but if we pass anybody on the sidewalk he will pull towards them even with food in front of his face.

Are training collars the only way to go?

Secondly, I have a question about coming when off leash, in a controlled no distraction environment. My problem is that he knows when I do and do not have food and he's very smart. So if we go to a fenced in area, no other dogs around, and I let him off leash, he will come if I have food. He will even come when I have food if other people and dogs are around unless he is extremely excited.

But when I dont have food, he knows there isn't a point in coming, and will just sniff around and mostly ignorepu my calls to come. Sometimes he will come, but mostly he will ignore.

Any advice on having him recall w/o a food reward?

Am I expecting too much from a 6month old puppy?

Please give me all the advice you can, and don't be afraid to be a little hard on me!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi and welcome, I would say give your little man a chance. Celebrate your successes and keep working on the rest patiently. I think for sure he is too young to even consider a training collar. Also, know that with husky in him he may never get truly reliable on recalls. They are quite independent and are known for escaping, bolting and just taking off when off leash. Only time will tell if the Aussie side of him will help with that ;-)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts