Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:)hi everyone
i am mum to a 14yr old yorkie (timmy) and a 16month old german shepherd (sih). i have been involved with dogs most of my life (i blame my mum, bless her) i have been involved with dog rescues and and i have worked in breeding kennels, boading kennels and quarintine kennels to and i have been dog grooming for 20ys. since i was a teenager i have gone to dog training and have acheived a few awards (not compertition though just friendly stuff).
i got sih from a friend to which he was a mistake as his mum was already had a litter 4 months earlier and did not realise she was pregnant because she only had the one. although i have had him from an early age i have had no end of problems with him, we go to three different training classes a week, normal obedience, clicker training and agility all he does really well in. my biggest problem and i dont know how to move on from this is he will not let anyone touch him and if any one comes to close to him he barks at them then shakes all over. any way that is enough for now if anyone has been through this and come through the other end can you please let me know i would be greatful.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Welcome to DF :D

Has he been socialized? Instead of having people come up to him, politely tell them not too and work with strangers/friends who you pre arrange things with to toss treats in his direction to help show him that approaching strangers are not scary.

Praise and treat him for calm behavior, and don't let people approach him, let him approach them if he wants too.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Welcome to DF! You'll get tons of great advice here on the forum (such as Pepper's). Hope things improve with your Sih. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi thankyou for getting back to me. yes he is socialized. i take him to work with me and he see alsorts of people, he is good with the staff and they enjoy doing the training with me, he is a dominant dog and i have had to be pretty firm with him and we have crossed a lot of bounaries such as bite me like a litter mate ( he will still try it in the park and will run up behind me and bite my hand then run off as he wants the chase ) he is brilliant with other dogs loves being chased by them and then he will be ok with the owners, he is very obedient also and has got his bronze in citizen dog scheme test, and i know he will pass his silver except for the judge needs to handle him. he is a food protector also but i can control it. what upsets me is if i call him to me and he comes i go to pat him on his head but he gives me his body if i move up to his head nose area he will growl and i will tell him no and he sits and shakes all over as though i beat him. i dont want to do anything that puts him back but i dont want to not do anything that i let it get worse. never had a dog like this. at one of the schools the trainer throws food in his path as you explained but it she holds out her hand with food in he will snatch and then growl at her. he also has a lot of good points when he is in a happy mood we have lots of fun but his mood can change for no reason that i have found.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Start Practicing N.I.L.I.F in the training section, it will help with obedience and the dominance issue.

When I got my dog a little bit back he had a slight dominance issue, humping. He never tried to hump me because I immediately had him doing commands the second I got him, but he tried to hump my mom and strangers who came over and would get quite irritated when I would tell him to get off. A week of N.I.L.I.F and he doesn't even try, he simply sits and let strangers love on him.

If he snatches the food and growls, don't move up to that point yet, stick with people just tossing food in his direction. If he becomes un comfortable just back off, and praise him when he is being a little bolder, but not over reactive.

Don't let people get in his space, it is your job to "protect" him from these threats, in this situation it sounds like he is threatened by people trying to pet him or get close to him. Once he knows there is no danger, he will start to warm up. But don't push him to far, let him go to the people if he wants to smell them, but tell them not to pet him, just let him sniff and if he does good, call him back to you and give him treats and praise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for that i feel better just talking about it. i will try that nilif training, the biggest thing is knowing that he needs different training that i have used in the past. my husband sat me down and told me to write down all the good things he can do and that we have over come and put it against the things we need to address and we have moved on a lot. i was just getting a bit obsessed over it. my daughter came home for the weekend and said he is a lot better from three weeks ago and she can see him listening and responding to my comands better. he used to have a blanket when we first got him and he used to walk around with it, and wrap it around my leg and hump me so we had to throw it away and also we gave him a cuddly toy to play with and he weed on it so that had to go to so from 6 wks he showed he wanted to be boss. i had him castrated when he was 6 months and we had to go to a different vet as they would not castrate till 18 months thought that would be to late for him, what do you think?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts