Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so angel is 7 months old now (posted pics the day we got her) she is a lab mix, no clue what she is mixed with, but she is very solid and powerful.

Recently she developed a weird problem with throwing up, ill explain a bit first, it might be my fault.

she was on the same food i switched her to when we got her, oven baked tradition chicken, for puppies, and did great on it.

but recently after noticing that as she needed more food, we saw that the food was very expensive, so we decided to switch, to find the best food, for a lower price, so a few weeks ago we switched her to kirkland signature premium puppy food (chicken & rice), near the end of switching, we took her to the dog park like we always do, and out of no where, she starts throwing up, one pile, then another, and another, maybe 8 times, so we left..

the next day was her appointment to get spayed, we took her, then she recovered with time away from the dog park and any other activities, when she was better, we went back to the dog park, it happened again, 5-6 piles before i took her home, next day, again. Now, it's nothing horrible looking, no yellow, red, nothing, just plain brown vomit, not much in it.

I never feed her right before the dog park, it is always around 4-6 hours after she eats ( i was feeding her 2 cups at 7am, 2 cups at 7pm, which i was told is too much, so i reduced it slowly.)

what doesn't make sense is she never throws up, only a few times after eating VERY fast, when she was younger, right after she ate.

I am convinced it has to do with the food i switched her to, although i hate to switch her again, if i must, i must.

we will be seeing the vet this week, but since she is 7 months old, and i really don't wanna switch 2 more times, if i have to switch her now, can it just be to adult dog food?

any ideas?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Does she only do it at the dog park?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am wondering if it is a nervous stomach and stress? .... though no where near being an expert .... just a thought.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
If it's only at the dog park, it seems like it might be too much excitement or running around. You may want to try moving around her meal times or the timing of your visit to the park to see if that helps, or maybe spacing the meals across the day. You don't have to feed twice a day. You could feed a small amount every hour if you wanted to. I'm not suggesting you do that, but maybe 3 or 4 small meals would be better than 2 bigger ones. Or maybe moving eating until after the dog park.

·
Registered
19 Posts
if your dog was not vomiting at the park before you switched the food brand...i would say the food is the issue.

what brand were you feeding first?

i never put my pups on the so called puppy foods.

when weaned they all went on too the same adult food their parents were fed.

never had any digestive or growth issues, ever.

i wonder if your dog is a pitbull lab cross........many pitties seem to have a food sensitivity to wheat and corn.

Let us know how the Vet visit goes.

Hugz to Angel!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, some people thought she was a lab x pittie, but i doubt it, i posted puppy pics the day we got her. Anyway, yeah it never happened till i switched the food, and the only time she threw up at the dog park is about a week after i started switching her. i thought about just putting her on adult food, i just usually "go by the rules" and figured it would be bad.

i switched from oven baked tradition, chicken puppy food, to kirkland premium chicken and rice puppy food.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just throwing this out there--but there is a concern out there about Kirkland CANNED food right now. But since it is still Kirkland, I figured better safe than sorry to make you aware. Not saying it is this problem, but I'd rather know and watch VERY closely than to not know.

The article is on the Dog food forum--someone just posted this evening.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so can anyone tell me if it makes sense, that she only throws up after 15-20 at the dog park, and no other time? and the kirkland food causes it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You could feed a small amount every hour if you wanted to. I'm not suggesting you do that, but maybe 3 or 4 small meals would be better than 2 bigger ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts