Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not really sure, he's a mix of one or the other. We were told his mom was a malamute, but you never know. He was a Valentine's Day present that the girl didn't actually want, their loss. :)
I can't imagine life without a husky or mal now. They definitely keep you from being lazy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for praising my Ares. He is a sweet boy, very friendly to every people and dog~the only issue about him, is hunting...he just loses control when he sees birds, cats, and squirrel..

In september, I will take Ares to training class for adult dog, focus on obedience training :wink:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thank you all for praising my Ares. He is a sweet boy, very friendly to every people and dog~the only issue about him, is hunting...he just loses control when he sees birds, cats, and squirrel..

In september, I will take Ares to training class for adult dog, focus on obedience training :wink:
That is a malamute for you. This is why most owners tell you to not let them off leash. They loose focus really easy. Maggie has her CGC (well almost we just have to go take the test) and she still is doing stuff like that. I got to work on a good recall still everyday.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That is a malamute for you. This is why most owners tell you to not let them off leash. They loose focus really easy. Maggie has her CGC (well almost we just have to go take the test) and she still is doing stuff like that. I got to work on a good recall still everyday.
You are completely right~ Malamute, husky and samoyed are very easy to be distracted. I never take off the leash, it's just so hard to hold him. Because he is so powful right now, with his 90 pounds weight...

Btw, what dog food do you feed your malamute?

He is very handsome! How is he handling all this heat we are having? I'm in Houston too...SW part of town. Where are you?
I walk with Ares twice every day, 7am and 8pm. During these 13 hours, I just let him go outside for peeing quickly~
The rest of time he stays in house, with air condition~
I live in Sugar land:)

·
Registered
385 Posts
You are completely right~ Malamute, husky and samoyed are very easy to be distracted. I never take off the leash, it's just so hard to hold him. Because he is so powful right now, with his 90 pounds weight...

Btw, what dog food do you feed your malamute?

Wow big boy! My mal she is only 68 pounds! Ya my husband is able to control her off leash not me. I have to either put an gentle leader or her or a prong coller to walk her!

I use either solid gold wolf king or Taste of the wild. I mix it with meat too. I do a mixture of raw and kibble. If I don't have meat it is kibble, if I don't have kibble she just gets meat with rice!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow big boy! My mal she is only 68 pounds! Ya my husband is able to control her off leash not me. I have to either put an gentle leader or her or a prong coller to walk her!

I use either solid gold wolf king or Taste of the wild. I mix it with meat too. I do a mixture of raw and kibble. If I don't have meat it is kibble, if I don't have kibble she just gets meat with rice!
Yeah, Ares is a little bit fat. I'm trying to lose his weight for long time. The ideal weight for him is 80-85 pounds...sigh..
Before I got him, I did some study about malamute. So, I knew malamutes' personality was desultory, independt.
That's why I took him to petco for puppy training since he was 3 months old.

I feed Ares pinnacle, Blue baffulo, Orijen and taste of the wild.
Orijen is the best food theorically, but he is allergy to that food...
Now he loves pinnacle-salmon potato grain free recipe most:)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Cut his food intake and it looks like you walk him everyday. The weight can come off. Though some mals are just bigger than the standard! Yep training classes help with mals alot. That is good! wow I never heard of pinnacle. Mals and their salmon lol! My hubby is going to cook her a big slab or salmon for her 1st birthday :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I walk with Ares twice every day, 7am and 8pm. During these 13 hours, I just let him go outside for peeing quickly~
The rest of time he stays in house, with air condition~
I live in Sugar land:)
First - Such a handsome dog!
I don't live far from you (a few hours) we are topping out around 108-110. I feel your pain. Having to go out for almost an hour each walk they will over heat and I will sunburn if we go any earlier than 7. In fact we purposely walk at a strip mall across the street in the evenings so that we can have a consistent amount area of shade to walk in. It helps a bit.

Have you made a coat out of all the hair yet :p - some days I find myself musing about the things I could do with this hair as I lint roll it off or pick up chunks of it off the floor. I'm thinking stuffing a bed for her with it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First - Such a handsome dog!
I don't live far from you (a few hours) we are topping out around 108-110. I feel your pain. Having to go out for almost an hour each walk they will over heat and I will sunburn if we go any earlier than 7. In fact we purposely walk at a strip mall across the street in the evenings so that we can have a consistent amount area of shade to walk in. It helps a bit.

Have you made a coat out of all the hair yet :p - some days I find myself musing about the things I could do with this hair as I lint roll it off or pick up chunks of it off the floor. I'm thinking stuffing a bed for her with it.
Thanks~you have a malamute or husky? It's a girl or boy? Normally, there is a huge yard behind my living area, Ares loves walking and running on grass in the morning.:)

You point out what I think about!! Malamute shedding so heavily in the summer, Ares's furs just fly everywhere in my house!! I really want to use these furs to doubling thread and knit a sweater~:flypig:

Well..I have to clean the house twice per day..tired about it

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Thanks~you have a malamute or husky? It's a girl or boy? Normally, there is a huge yard behind my living area, Ares loves walking and running on grass in the morning.:)

You point out what I think about!! Malamute shedding so heavily in the summer, Ares's furs just fly everywhere in my house!! I really want to use these furs to doubling thread and knit a sweater~:flypig:

Well..I have to clean the house twice per day..tired about it
I have a female Siberian Husky. We have large areas of grass between apartment buildings and a few dog yards here to let them run in but the heat is horrid.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts