Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well unfortunately/fortunately our female pit bull gave birth a week and a few days ago.
It was unexpected so we have to deal with it, She had 9 and one is a runt. He is still alive and we try to bottle feed him. He resists but will drink a little bit. He does nurse from the mother but his suck if really weak. Does anyone have some experience and advice how to fatten him up and keep him going till he can start to eat some chow. I am no pro breeder and it's stressful but I am not giving up on this little guy till his last breath. Any advice will be great, I appreciate your time Thank You.

PS we will be getting moms spayed, and shots for pups when they are ready.
I am also going to keep the Runt and have homes ready for his bros and sisters

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Go to your vet and find out how to tube feed the puppy. You need to be shown how to do it right. If done wrong the pup could aspirate and that would not be good. Tube feeding such a weak pup would be the best route to take.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sounds good,do you know how long i would have to tube feed him for? I just want to have a good idea when i go to the vet

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It all depends on the puppy and how fast if at all it responds to the feedings. Sometimes with runts there might be something wrong (liver shunt http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2533) with the puppy and all efforts to save the life will still end in death. After your vet checks the pup over , you will have a better idea of how long. Hopefully just a couple of days. The most important thing is hopefully the pup recieved colostrum from the mother in the first few days of life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts