Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I would like to solicit some opinions on an issue I'm facing. 16 years ago I adopted two puppies, different breeds, so they grew up together and have lived together their entire lives. I think they tolerated each other because their interactions with each other were minimal but they did keep each other company while I was at work all day. One of my girls became mostly blind and deaf about 1 year ago but her sense of smell is still great and she always knew her sister was there. 3 weeks ago, I lost her sister to cancer. Since then, the remaining dog, who is blind and deaf has had to spend her days all alone and she cries when I leave in the morning and she cries when I come home so I can only assume she's crying throughout the day. Her health is otherwise good but she just seems miserable when she is by herself. I has to be scary for her. I've tried to find someone to watch her during the day but thus far that search has not been successful. Am I being cruel and selfish having her stay alone all day while I'm at work? Should I consider letting her go peacefully? I just don't know where to go from here.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss :( It may take her a long while to adjust. Can you take her for a walk before you head out for work and completely change up the routine? I know she's quite old but perhaps the walk will tire her out enough to rest. It may take her some time to get used to the empty house and new routine.
Can't imagine how she must feel without her friend.

I could be swayed to go both ways... how is her health otherwise?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Letting her sister Miranda go was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do but it was the right decision. Other than being blind and deaf, Bette's health is good. I can't imagine what it must be like though to be in the dark and all alone 9 hours while I'm at work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you have doggy day cares in your area? Might be expensive but worth it if you can afford it.
Any local dog walkers that could at least take her for a walk or 2 during the day?
Are you able to come home at lunch to walk her or be with her?

It's a tough decision not matter what you decide, good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Rocky, there is a doggy day care but they said that since she is blind and deaf that they wouldn't be able to take her. I do have someone who comes and lets her in the back yard in the middle of the day which I think helps a little now. In the morning she goes out for a bit but it's still dark outside. The vet says that he thinks she can still sense light but that's about it. I just can't bear to let her go at this point so I'm going to try to make her as happy as possible until her health starts to decline.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I think that's a good idea. Glad the neighbor lets her out midday. She will eventually adapt. Can you give her a frozen stuffed Kong when you leave so that she has some entertainment? You can freeze part of her meal in there, if you plug the small end with a piece of cheese, and then mix her dry food with some water in the kong, set it carefully in the freezer overnight and hand it to her in the morning?
My dogs LOVE that, and I mix a little canned with theirs, too.

Good luck with her.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Whatever you decide, don't be hard on yourself about it. You have provided a good life - and a long life! - to this dog and are doing right by her in her twilight years.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
The only Cesar Millan episode that didn't make me entirely explode was one where the owner had a similar situation and asked him how to get her dog to stop crying and he told her that her dog had to grieve and she had to let him grieve on his own schedule and support him in it.

I'd give it a few more weeks at least and give her as much attention as I could. I'd break my rules about food and weight and slip her whatever foods she liked most (assuming that won't make her sick). At the end of 6 weeks, though, I'd have to consider if she's grieving or if she's suffering from dementia that was masked by having a helper dog around.

It's a tough situation, I know. My Muggsy was in liver failure, unable to stand, seizing with every sound and I still felt like a terrible monster for euthanizing him. And a terrible monster for waiting a day to do so. It sucks, no way around it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
sorry for your loss.

put an add in the paper for a sitter, go to pet stores and see
if there's any advertisement about sitter's, goggle, speak with your
Vet, neighbor?, family or friend, day care, pin up an add in doggie locations,
get another dog to keep your dog company.

good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dear john051061, your girl is very depressed. I was wonderng if you have thought about a new companion for your girl? Maybe an older, housebroken, puppy? Or even a older kitten? Maybe checking with a rescue shelter where you could take your girl and introduce her to someone new and watch her reactions will be the best way to determine if this would work for the both of you. And you would be doing something good for another 4 legged friend as well. I would try this before deciding about 'letting her go'. I hope and pray for the best for you and your girl, I can only imagine what this is doing to you emotionally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts