Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Name is Alvin with a dog named Jackpot. Requires some veteran to help me recognise what breed of dog Jackpot belongs to.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
He's some cute! His breed has me pretty stumped though.
He could be a wide variety of mixes.

The first thing he reminded me of is a Jindo because of his color and tail. But then, the longish hair.. I'm not sure!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx alot. If it was a shiba inu mix , is there anything i can do to control his mischief and biting habit?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Training dogs is majorly the same no matter what the breed.
You're going to want to find his currency. Does he like food? Toys? Use whatever works for him to reward him. Set him up for success if you know that he nips and bites at you whenever he gets too excited playing with a certain toy. Choose a more boring toy, change to a different game that doesn't allow him to bite you as much, like fetch, and stop if he does nip or mouth you. Plus more exercise is generally always recommended; a tired dog is an easy to get along with dog!

Shibas (if it is part one) are well known for their mischief-making and stubborn personalities. Here's a site that I used a lot when I was considering getting a Shiba Inu puppy. It kind of outlines the basics on what to do in any dog training, but also should be comforting to hear that they aren't the easiest breed. So it's okay to struggle.
http://shibashake.com/dog/shiba-inu-training-secrets

You can also search the forums for biting advice. Puppies and dogs that haven't gotten their manners down will be bitey, it's not uncommon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still trying to bite and hump anything in sight. This morning he somehow got himself out of the leash and had a barking competition with a neighbouring pug. I even got complained by a muslim neighboursaying that Jack might pee near their house. Finally able to lure him back home with some dog treats. Now he was sitting quietly refusing to eat or play.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I would estimate that he is a shepherd/shiba inu mix. His face is very, very shepherd looking.
How old is Jackpot? Young dogs often explore their surroundings with their mouth. You can stop the dog from mouthing you by redirecting him to a toy. If he continues coming after you, get up and leave him with the toy for about 15 seconds, then go back and continue redirecting to a toy if he mouths you or something else in the room. By doing this you are teaching him what he is allowed to have. Which is much easier than teaching him what he is not allowed.
Reward with treats for chewing the right thing.

Some dogs are just humpy, is he neutered? If not, having this done any time after 6 months of age can improve this. Some dogs will stop the behavior altogether, others may continue to display the same behavior regardless, but it may occur less often. It differs from dog to dog. My dog stopped when he was neutered.

You're also going to need to train a recall. Practice 'touch' in your house and yard on a long line leash. All you do is place your hand down, palm out and say "touch" and when the dog comes to sniff your hand you reward him. Repeat, over and over and over and over and over until he's reliable in the house, then move to the yard where it's a higher distraction area, and continue practicing. NEVER wean out the treat. You want your dog 100% reliable when you say 'touch' so switch up the treats often so he doesn't get bored, and practice until he's completely reliable and then occasionally afterwards. That way if he gets out, you just have to say 'touch' and he'll come back much easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts