Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aggression towards new puppy

Hey there,

I'm a new member here. I am coming to the forums as I need some advice on my 1.5 year old female Alaskan Malamute and a new puppy who is also a Malamute (4 months, male). We've seen some aggression with the older one towards the puppy, that can get a bit out of hand, which is definitely new, as we take her to the dog park and socialize her regularly.

Ammy, my female 1.5 year old Malamute, who I've had since she was 9 weeks old, previously showed some aggressive or dominant behavior when playing. She gets very nippy and doesn't have much bite inhibition. (Perhaps she was not with her litter-mates enough?) If we would try and get up or push her away she would escalate things with us and growl, show her teeth and get angry. This calmed down after trying quite a few different things and her getting older. She is good at the dog park, but will sometimes get into small tiffs with other dogs if they aggressively approach her. She is very playful and typically doesn't instigate fights. She is spayed, if that makes a difference.

We recently, just this week, brought another Malamute into our home. His name is Fenrir, Fen for short. He is a male and intact, and is about 4 months old. He's about 60 lbs, which is not much smaller than my female who is 70 lbs. We can't tell if she is trying to play with him, being dominant (asserting her place in the pack), or is being dog aggressive. She stands over him and does the normal dominance stuff and puppy teaching behavior which isn't bad. The thing that is becoming worrisome is she will not leave him alone. She is constantly biting his neck and ear, hard, and pinning him down. She does this even if he is laying across the room, not playing with toys or getting attention, most of the time just lounging or trying to nap. He has started standing up for himself a bit more and doing the quick nipping back at her or growling, telling her to back off. This makes her very upset and she will start biting harder, and poking at him with her nose, short quick bites to the back of the head and ears. If he retaliates a fight will break out. The female wont back down and will continue to escalate things. We typically separate them at this point and give them a cool-down period before introducing them back into the same room.

We're just not sure what to do at this point....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Aggression towards new puppy

Hey there,

I'm a new member here. I am coming to the forums as I need some advice on my 1.5 year old female Alaskan Malamute and a new puppy who is also a Malamute (4 months, male). We've seen some aggression with the older one towards the puppy, that can get a bit out of hand, which is definitely new, as we take her to the dog park and socialize her regularly.

Ammy, my female 1.5 year old Malamute, who I've had since she was 9 weeks old, previously showed some aggressive or dominant behavior when playing. She gets very nippy and doesn't have much bite inhibition. (Perhaps she was not with her litter-mates enough?) If we would try and get up or push her away she would escalate things with us and growl, show her teeth and get angry. This calmed down after trying quite a few different things and her getting older. She is good at the dog park, but will sometimes get into small tiffs with other dogs if they aggressively approach her. She is very playful and typically doesn't instigate fights. She is spayed, if that makes a difference.

We recently, just this week, brought another Malamute into our home. His name is Fenrir, Fen for short. He is a male and intact, and is about 4 months old. He's about 60 lbs, which is not much smaller than my female who is 70 lbs. We can't tell if she is trying to play with him, being dominant (asserting her place in the pack), or is being dog aggressive. She stands over him and does the normal dominance stuff and puppy teaching behavior which isn't bad. The thing that is becoming worrisome is she will not leave him alone. She is constantly biting his neck and ear, hard, and pinning him down. She does this even if he is laying across the room, not playing with toys or getting attention, most of the time just lounging or trying to nap. He has started standing up for himself a bit more and doing the quick nipping back at her or growling, telling her to back off. This makes her very upset and she will start biting harder, and poking at him with her nose, short quick bites to the back of the head and ears. If he retaliates a fight will break out. The female wont back down and will continue to escalate things. We typically separate them at this point and give them a cool-down period before introducing them back into the same room.

We're just not sure what to do at this point....
I'm not sure if that isn't playing Malamutes are a lot like huskies and playing they look as if they are attacking each other but are actually playing. Now the standing over him is dominance but I think the rest of the stuff you described is them playing. Does she bare her teeth at him?? Or just go over and bite then he stands up and does it back?? Are both dogs tail wagging?? Most females will get along better with males then females. :):)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts