Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya'll. My names Kyle, I'm 20 years old and a student at UGA. (I only have tuesday and thursday classes so this seemed a good time to adopt) I'm a big forum guy, so I figured I'd find a good one when I picked up my puppy this past Friday.

He's a half husky, half lab pup, six weeks old. He's got grey-blue eyes (although the owner of the mother said they have been changing) and is black with the white husky markings. His ears are lab-like now, but I think they might end up standing like a huskies. Huskies have always been my favorite dogs, beautiful, and labs are my favorite temperament.

I decided to name him Colt. He's very well behaved for a puppy, especially after what I've read about Huskies. His house training is coming along very well and he is definitely a good dog. I'm very excited. I know huskies have high energy levels, but I'm an avid runner and run 3+ miles a day so when he's full grown that should help. His mother was a 40 pound husky, and the father was a 50 pound lab, so I don't think he'll get any bigger than 50 pounds.

This is my first puppy, although my family has had two dogs.

I guess that's it for now. I'll be sure to post some pictures when I have some good ones.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Actually, puppies need to be with their mothers till they are 8 weeks old, minimum (some breeders like to keep them to 10 or 12). Two weeks might not seem like that much of a difference, but they actually learn a lot in that time -- bite-inhibition, how to project and read the right doggy body language, how to accept punishment, and several other things. I'm not saying it's impossible to raise a dog right when he's separated from the litter at 6 weeks -- several of our members have done it -- but you'd save a lot of trouble if you could take him back to his mothers and siblings for another fortnight.

Most of the time, however, that's not an option, so you might have to take it from here. Read about bite-inhibition (basically, how to play without nipping) in the "The Bite Stops Here" sticky in the First Time Dog Owner section -- that should help.

He sounds like a wonderful puppy! Colt is a great name. I actually have it on my list of "potential dog names" :D

Be careful about those 3-mile runs -- I do those with my Beagles but as he's still a puppy, his joints haven't quite calcified yet and you want to be sure not to over-strain them at this age. Both Labs and Huskies can be prone to joint problems, so you want to be as cautious as possible. Try to take him on several short-ish walks, rather than one long one, at this stage -- walk at his pace, not yours. His bones will calcify when he's around 1 to 1.5 years of age, after which you can bring him running for as long as you want (provided he's fit enough, of course! Which I doubt will be a problem.)

And, of course, welcome to our forums! I'll be 20 in March and studying in North Carolina this fall, so we'll be relatively close. Please post pictures of Colt soon! They stop looking like balls of fluff very quickly. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

I had been reading and noticed most people seemed to get theirs at 8 weeks, so I was beginning to wonder if this were the case. Unfortunately, I cannot take him back to his mother so I'll have to do my best. I wish this weren't the case, but I really don't have much of a choice. Thanks for the biting reference, I'll be sure to read up on that post.

In regards to the walking/running: Right now he only walks around in the backyard of my condo, with the occasional short walk down the street. The three mile runs won't start until he is considerably larger, and even then I'll start him on 1 mile and build up to my regular run so I'm sure he can handle it.

He's a good little guy, and I'm really lookin forward to raising my first pup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the first in what will end up being a lot of pictures I'm sure. I'm thinking that his ears might stand up as he grows and really give him the Husky look. I do love the color of his eyes though. Very unique. Hopefully they won't change much more.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah. Judging by pictures they usually have more white in the face, so all that area would be white. I do love the markings, my sisters pup has the same thing. (She has a mix breed, we think mainly Louisiana Catahoula.) I'm fine with his ears standing or not standing, I'll love him just the same. :)

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Yeah. When I saw the markings on his face I actually thought there might be something other than Husky and Lab in there, unless you're absolutely sure that both his parents were purebred. Then again a lot of large breed puppies have very similar features at this age. Just a thought.

Coincidence: my boyfriend's name is Kyle, he's in love with Huskies but will likely be getting a Lab in a couple of months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts