Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone! I look forward to browsing the forum and getting to know everyone. You all seem to know your stuff.:)

I have a question, somewhat complicated. My boyfriend got himself a little mutt pup from the SPCA a few weeks ago, and we are trying to figure out what she is! I know they have DNA testing for this kind of stuff, but my boyfriend likes the mystery.:rolleyes: I, however, want answers!

When we got her, all her form said was that she was a Shepherd mix. But what kind of Shepherd could they be talking about?! There are so many kinds! When I saw her, my first thought was German, then I did some googling and discovered the Anatolian, whose markings she more closely resembles. I also think she may be Boxer (maybe Pit Bull?) and perhaps Lab. They said she'll get to be about 70 lbs.

Her temperament: STUBBORN, hyper, protective playful, smart.

So. Anyone want to help me out?? I figure someone might know! Thanks. Here are some pics:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Pepper! :)

I've been googling and for some reason there are a lot of mutts with Australian Shepherd in them that look an awful lot like her. Do you think that's possible? I can't see how they resemble one, but I guess it's possible. I agree with what you said, nonetheless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I don't see Aussie either (I'm an Aussie owner as well). A lot of the images a found had them listed as such, so it threw me off.

I guess I should just be patient--not my most prominent virtue--and wait until she's bigger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have no idea, but ohhh my gosh, she is too cute for words. Can we trade boyfriends for a while? I want to play with her! xD
Haha! Yeah, she's freaking adorable. Come on down! I'll lend them to you. Warning: the boyfriend is rather attached to Pop-Punk music and plays a lot of XBox. :p The puppy likes to pee out of spite, but her cuteness has kept him from returning her to SPCA. So far . . .

It's a whatchamacallit dog. Some of this, some of that.
Very interesting . . . Noted. :p

·
Registered
165 Posts
Haha! Yeah, she's freaking adorable. Come on down! I'll lend them to you. Warning: the boyfriend is rather attached to Pop-Punk music and plays a lot of XBox. :p The puppy likes to pee out of spite, but her cuteness has kept him from returning her to SPCA. So far . . .
Don't worry, my boyfriend has an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles/supermoto and thinks it's funny to fart without warning and watch his victims shriek and run away... But you get to play with my dog, so it's totally worth it. ahahah.
That dog could do anything to my house and I don't think I'd have a single thought about returning her. My pup's lucky I feel the same way about him.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The puppy likes to pee out of spite, but her cuteness has kept him from returning her to SPCA. So far . . .
Your kidding, right!?!

Your pup is very cute and although the pics don't have a good view of the body, she looks like she could have some Belgian Malinois in her. The color and black muzzle are kind of like the Malinois.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your kidding, right!?!

Your pup is very cute and although the pics don't have a good view of the body, she looks like she could have some Belgian Malinois in her. The color and black muzzle are kind of like the Malinois.
Haha, he threatens to all of the time, but I know he is kidding. He's never raised a puppy before and expects instant gratification. I have to keep telling him it takes time for her to learn these things. But yes, if you ignore her for even a second, she pees on the carpet.

Someone else told me she looked Belgian Malinois! They're so similar to a German Shepherd, it's very possible.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Dogs don't do things out of spite, so you need to get that out of your head and do not compare your dog to a person, or humans in any way. Once you've done that, everything will be much easier.

Dogs are not humans, and they do not think like us.

If you put a dog in time out, they don't sit their and think about what they've done wrong.

If you yell at a dog, all they know is that you are angry, they don't understand why you are angry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dogs don't do things out of spite, so you need to get that out of your head and do not compare your dog to a person, or humans in any way. Once you've done that, everything will be much easier.

Dogs are not humans, and they do not think like us.

If you put a dog in time out, they don't sit their and think about what they've done wrong.

If you yell at a dog, all they know is that you are angry, they don't understand why you are angry.
Oh, I know she's not actually spiteful, I was just joking around. I've raised and trained dogs my whole life. Thinking about her being spiteful in a humorous manner is just funny to think about, but I don't ACTUALLY think she's doing it because she wants to annoy me or my boyfriend.

The fact of the matter is, she's still being potty trained. Dogs do, however, do things to get attention--chewing on things, peeing even though you JUST took them out, whining/barking etc. They get a reaction out of you, whether it's good or bad, and they like that you are paying attention to them! Positive reinforcement is always the best kind of discipline with dogs. She gets a "good girl" and other high praise when goes outside, nothing at all when she goes inside, aside from being placed outside for a while--that way she learns that peeing inside doesn't actually get her any kind of attention.

She's one of the hardest dogs I've ever had to potty train, though. She may not be spiteful in all actuality, but she is stubborn and that is a true Shepherd temperament.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts