Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working sit with Kabota for 3.5 months now, outside for about a month. Inside was 100%, then I tried sit outside and got a very blank look. So I started from scratch, again, and we've probably done a few hundred sits outside, with about twice that many ignored. Training a dog can be like slogging through mud. Frozen mud.

Last night, three things happened at once during our walk: a car backfired next to a group of teenage girls who immediately start screaming and squealing just as two loud motorcycles passed by.

All that was apparently too much for Kabota and he started barking. Our of pure habit (I used to do this with Muggsy) I said "sit" and he sat! His butt hit the pavement as soon as I said it, he stopped barking and looked up at me. While totally overstimulated and barking, my dog obeyed a command to sit.

I can't tell you how proud I am. All that slogging along really paid off.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Congrats! Great job to you both! :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's great! It's so gratifying when the hard work pays off.

I've had a moment or two like that, when I just instinctively told Mercy to do something we've been having mixed sucess with and had her do it perfectly. I wonder if it's something in the energy we put out in those kinds of situations that really cuts through to the core of their little doggie brain.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I honestly couldn't tell you why it worked. Kabota looked just as surprised as I was, though. He looked at me like, "How did you do that?"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts