Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Breed:Shephard mix
I was asking how do i train my dog to eat food only from me and no body else also when people come around the house him to bark if they enter he to attack (not now couse hes still a puppy and he just loves to play) but if i can start that training early should i do it now hes almost 2 months old now hes learned sit and give paw i try to teach him down but he wont go dont even with the treet lure but main question what age should i start training him as a guard dog and to eat only from 1 person ?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Attack dog training is not a do-it-yourself project. If you are going to train a dog to attack humans, you must have 100% confidence that it will act *only* on command 100% of the time. Otherwise you doom the dog to an early death when (not if) a misunderstanding results in an uncommanded attack.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you insist on training your dog like this, get a trained professional. You cannot do this yourself just by reading stuff from books or on the net.
You must know how to have your dog under absolute control 110% of the time. If you slip up, even just a bit, you can have a serious situation on your hands and your dog will take the full brunt of it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I bet if you just treat him with kindness and respect, and give him plenty exercise and discipline (just basic obedience) training, he'll protect your home just because it's the right thing to do. I always say, "trust the dog, he knows what he's doing."

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Barking on cue is much better than attack on command (unless you are in a situation where your life is in danger). You can teach barking right now.
1. Get the pup excited and when he barks, say "Bark!" and give a tiny treat, repeat for 10 min. and stop. Do this once or twice a day for a week. In about 3 days, he will understand. Then, when he is quiet, say bark, and give a treat when he barks.
2. Optional - teach him to bark only one time: When he barks once, interrupt with the treat. If he barks more, close your eyes, turn your head, flinch, do not treat. Balance the responses until he understands bark means once. ... Optional.
3. Teach him Quiet: Tell him to bark. When he is quiet, say "Quiet" then give him a treat. Repeat as in #1 above. If he doesn't stop barking, then put a tiny piece of boiled chicken under his nose, and he'll stop.
4. After you are confident about his behaviors, train him to bark and to be Quiet, by using hand signals.
Note: Once you teach a dog to bark, you have to be disciplined about the training, because dogs love to bark, and it's even better if you give them a treat when they bark!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, barking on command is a easy and fun thing to do.

Most dogs, anyway, will protect their territory and humans if need be. It's natural behavior for most dogs.
I had a friend who had the most docile, friendliest dog you've ever met. She was a little corgi mix and would never hurt a fly...but she saved her owner one night from a man who had her owner at knife point. It was just natural to her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts