Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwe .... What a beautiful puppy! :D Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Awwww those eyes!

I have a blue Merle that is 3yr old. His passions in life, frisbee, fresh fruit/veggies, frisbee, love/cuddles, frisbee, food, frisbee...you get the idea.

Have you researched the mdr1 gene? I can't recommend strongly enough to have him tested, it's $70 and so worth the money BEFORE you start flea meds or his first procedure (usually neutering). We tested our Skyler in the first couple days home, I had the kit waiting for him (he had to be home at least 24hr before we could test).

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
First, congrats on your new puppy!

Awwww those eyes!

I have a blue Merle that is 3yr old. His passions in life, frisbee, fresh fruit/veggies, frisbee, love/cuddles, frisbee, food, frisbee...you get the idea.

Have you researched the mdr1 gene? I can't recommend strongly enough to have him tested, it's $70 and so worth the money BEFORE you start flea meds or his first procedure (usually neutering). We tested our Skyler in the first couple days home, I had the kit waiting for him (he had to be home at least 24hr before we could test).

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/
Second, I strongly second this suggestion!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I would ask for copies of the letter WSU sends that give the results, you will want them for your vet records.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just heard back from the breeder and she's waiting for the results to come in. She will send me copies. I trust this breeder and her trainer. They were very selective about who got the pups and making sure the temperament was suitable for the owner. I did not even have a say as to which pup I got other than stating that I preferred a tri. And even that wasn't promised.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If the breeder has the results then she has the emailed letters. WSU is the only reputable tester for this, they email the letter with the results & takes less than 2weeks to get back. If they were as careful as you say then the tests would have been done prior to breeding. You are putting blind faith in something that could kill your pup, it doesn't seem as if you've done your research to realize the seriousness of mdr1.

Breeders selecting for new owners & screening is common, not a sign of a great breeder, just normal process. I'm not saying they are a bad breeder but you seem to not be researching the breed & trusting on something that sounds like you are being blown smoke.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You certainly do luv2bite. I'm pretty sure you can't test the pups before the adults have been bred and I've already stated the results for the adults. The breeder is waiting for the pup's results and will send a copy to me when she gets them. I trust her and I trust the trainer. Relax.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You certainly do luv2bite. I'm pretty sure you can't test the pups before the adults have been bred and I've already stated the results for the adults. The breeder is waiting for the pup's results and will send a copy to me when she gets them. I trust her and I trust the trainer. Relax.
So the adults were tested prior to breeding and the pups have also been tested, the results just aren't in uet...
Sounds good to me.

Perhaps luv2bite perhaps just read things wrong?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
You can test a dog anytime, has nothing to do with breeding. You can't test a pup until they are off mom's teat for 24hrs. Mdr1 has nothing to do with timing of breeding. If it did then Skyler would never be able to be tested since he will never be bread (and he is neutered since 6mo old), he was tested at 9weeks. Silly to think that DNA testing has to do with breeding, as is it would change your DNA.

Besides, how can you say "your pretty sure the...." when you clearly didn't think/know about mdr1 before you brought your long awaited buddy home?

Far too many people have put faith in their breeder then come here with an ill pup or or life threatening problem. "but my breeder said...".

Also you never said pups were tested you said parents were, I simply suggested you get copies for you records since if that is true results the pups wouldn't need tested. Also, pups can't be tested until off mom for at least 24hrs.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
So the adults were tested prior to breeding and the pups have also been tested, the results just aren't in uet...
Sounds good to me.

Perhaps luv2bite perhaps just read things wrong?
She never said, in earlier posts, pups were tested, just that parents were. If those were the results a copy for her vet records is good to have & no need to test pups.

I was just trying to help someone that has a breed that is largely affected by this gene mutation since in her ten month wait doesn't sound like she researched much. And sounds like another person putting all faith in their breeder...how many time on here have we seen bad advice or answers from their breeders & pups end up very I'll? Too many to count. I just hope she doesn't give flea meds until she is sure what the results are.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts