Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in near several busy intersections. Regardless of our route, nearly every one takes us across a busy street or intersection. For my own safety and Big Words's, we always -- always -- cross at crosswalks, wait for the WALK light, etc.

Today, we came to one such intersection. We waited for the WALK signal, I did a double-check for any yellow-light chasers and we headed on across the street. As we got roughly one-quarter of the way across the street, a young woman in a blue sports car came careening around the corner, paying no attention whatsoever to us or anything.

Thankfully, Big Words is good about (A) walking near to me and (B) moving when I do. I jumped a step backwards and pulled back on the leash. And it was only then did the driver see us and ease up on the accellerator. By this time we were far enough back that we were out of her path. She gave an infurriatingly chipper "oops haha sorry" wave and went on about her way.

Had BW been pulling ahead of me as he did when I first adopted him, he very well may have gotten hit or at least been much closer to getting hit.

So, let this be a good example of why you should train your dogs to walk near you -- as well as why you should watch out for the idiots who aren't watching out for you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
She gave an infurriatingly chipper "oops haha sorry" wave and went on about her way.
I've had that happen a couple times in the past. I always want to ask those people what they would have said had I been a little slower getting out of the way. It amazes me how many drivers don't mind crosswalks and the like. But then, there are also a lot of pedestrians that could benefit from a lesson in smart street behavior. Everyone could do with being a little smarter/observant I guess.

Glad you and your pup are ok.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Open to suggestions on how to stop my 8mth old from pulling in the first place!! Shes a big girl and we're not having any luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I really hate people like this.:mad:
Pay attenetion to nothing, just probably texting while they're driving and not caring if they hit someone.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Same thing happened to me yesterday, sans Hershey thankfully.

Unfortunately, the momentum of my body and arms flung my bag of groceries right into the rear quarter panel of the idiot's car. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Open to suggestions on how to stop my 8mth old from pulling in the first place!! Shes a big girl and we're not having any luck!
My dog is 200 pounds and walks along so nicely.
I just walked him everyday and never ever let him get away with pulling.

I like going for a walk and don't want to be pulled around by a dog, to me that just not relaxing.

My husbands dog, black lab. Showed up here one day when he was about 6 or 8 months old and doesn't walk worth crap. He can't come with us because he just can't behave. Tried everything with him.
Good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I usually have my dog sit and stay so I can discern traffic before we cross at intersections.
We do this as well. Every intersection. It doesn't help, though, in instances like this when cars come careening into intersections mid-cross.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts