Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My four month old deaf Catahoula mix is usually fairly well behaved on the leash. I've only had her for two months so we're working on getting better, but we're not even close to understand the heel command yet.

I'm absolutely okay with how long it might take her to learn to behave well on the leash compared to how quickly she learned other obedience indoors like sit, stay, etc. But sometimes on the walk she will jump around, yip at me, and bit my legs on a walk.

This is behavior I used to see out in the backyard when we would walk together sometimes, but I don't see it there anymore, so I'm a bit baffled on how to curb the behavior on walks.

Perhaps more consistency is in order, but I have already tried, stopping when she shows the behavior and ignoring her until she calms down (I've sustained a few wounds form letting her just nip me until she was finished and this is fairly unpleasant), and I've tried walking into her space or body blocking to let her know I want her out of my space, and I've tried telling her no, which only gets her more excited about it all.

I'm absolutely committed to helping her learn better behavior, but I obviously don't communicate with her well enough in these situations or I'm sure she'd be showing greater results like when we do other training.

Thanks for your help in advance!

As of Friday August 12 we've got a vibrating collar. She's pretty good about responding when i buzz her, but still does fairly poorly with distractions. And all along we've been learning sign language together. She's already familiar with at least a dozen signs, and still learning more every day.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
There is a collar that vibrates. I've never seen one, only read about it. It is like a shock collar without the brutality. Your Vet or someone at UT may have heard about them.... It may even be a shock collar with a vibration option.

Get it, and use the vibration to help communicate with your dog. She needs some type of marker (like a physical clicker) that will tell her when she is doing something inappropriate. Search for Dog Vibration Collar in Google. Here is one of the hits: http://www.deafdogs.org/resources/vibramakers.php

This may make life easier.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks hanksimon. :)

I did some research on these types of collars before I adopted her, and plan on using one in the near future. Even without a vibrating collar it's possible to communicate with her that she's doing behavior I don't like. Just a simple pop of the leash on a walk is what I use to indicate that I'd like to see different behavior, and most of the time it works for tugging or lagging behind.

I wish it was as simple as letting her know that the behavior she shows me is not something I want. I feel like I already do that both with her "no" command and by popping the leash. :/

·
Registered
2,000 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our main problem isn't heeling during the walk, it's the nipping and barking behavior. It can get a little scary when she runs out into the street... Can anyone help me identify where this behavior might be coming from? Is it even herding behavior?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
How come she's running out in the street? Isn't she on leash? I definitely wouldn't let a deaf dog off leash until she's as close to 100% on the vibrating collar recall as possible. And I wouldn't expect that for a year at least.

The bouncing around/nipping/barking on a walk seems like normal 4-5-month-old puppy behavior. Do you do anything to get her energy out before you expect serious walking to happen?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How come she's running out in the street? Isn't she on leash? I definitely wouldn't let a deaf dog off leash until she's as close to 100% on the vibrating collar recall as possible. And I wouldn't expect that for a year at least.

The bouncing around/nipping/barking on a walk seems like normal 4-5-month-old puppy behavior. Do you do anything to get her energy out before you expect serious walking to happen?
Oh yes she's on a leash. Like you said, it will be a long time before I let her off the leash. She is WAY too distracted for me to have any confidence in recall at the moment.

Yikes. Getting her energy out before a walk? Actually she does it more during our evening walks, which is about an hour before her bedtime, than in the morning right after breakfast. With a limited yard and a small enough space inside, I'm not sure we could do much more than throw the ball down the hall a few times to try and diminish her energy level BEFORE a walk... Surely there's some other option.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
How is she going in the road if she's on leash? If her leash is that long, it shouldn't be.

I've always either made the dogs run around in the yard or run a few blocks with them on the leash before I expect them to settle down to walk nicely. I think that would be even more important for a puppy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your dog sounds like the perfect candidate to be taught to carry a toy in her mouth while on walks.
I heard that once before. Do you know how that helps? If this nipping and barking is just because of her puppy energy, maybe a toy would help. Don't you think she'd just wanna go off somewhere to play with it though instead of walking?

How is she going in the road if she's on leash? If her leash is that long, it shouldn't be.

I've always either made the dogs run around in the yard or run a few blocks with them on the leash before I expect them to settle down to walk nicely. I think that would be even more important for a puppy.
No, her leash isn't outrageously long, but when we walk on the sidewalk sometimes the street is only a matter of feet away, and when she's nipping I try to keep her at a distance because she's left several bruises on me from it in just one walk.

Maybe I will try giving her a run for a couple blocks before asking her to behave on the walk. That sounds like it might work.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Maybe I will try giving her a run for a couple blocks before asking her to behave on the walk. That sounds like it might work.
I've never dealt with a deaf dog, but this is what I do with all of my dogs. I let them bounce around and be silly for a few minutes, then expect the good behavior. It usually works fairly well. We do work some on behaving even when full of energy, but it's pretty difficult. ;) We'll get there, eventually!! Just remember, your puppy is just a baby, and a very young one at that. While biting shouldn't be tolerated, not walking well on a leash is normal and expected. it took me months to teach Trev not to pull on a leash. He wanted to go fast all the time! So hang in there!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've never dealt with a deaf dog, but this is what I do with all of my dogs. I let them bounce around and be silly for a few minutes, then expect the good behavior. It usually works fairly well. We do work some on behaving even when full of energy, but it's pretty difficult. ;) We'll get there, eventually!! Just remember, your puppy is just a baby, and a very young one at that. While biting shouldn't be tolerated, not walking well on a leash is normal and expected. it took me months to teach Trev not to pull on a leash. He wanted to go fast all the time! So hang in there!!
I pretty much assume that my deaf dog can do everything that a hearing dog can do. Really the only problem that she would have that others won't is when I want to get her attention and that's why I use a vibrating collar.

But maybe I've given the wrong impression when I made this post. She can walk very well on the leash. Sometimes she gets excited and pulls, but for the most part she's a great walker. :) She likes being in front a little, but I don't worry about that too much because really we haven't done much actual training on that. I just am at my wits end when she starts antagonizing me.

I'll definitely try running her a little first. I might even do that for this evenings walk.

Thanks for all your advice! If it works or not, you've really let me know what works for you, and that's all I could ever ask for. :)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Interesting, I have had herding dogs for almost 10 yrs & never dealt with this prob lol lol, I have had them try to herd other things moving (bikes, joggers, other dogs while playing... Etc) it will be interesting to see the responses on this, I would like to know how to train a deaf dog too :) I really commend you, Helen for giving a chance to a dog like this :)

Good idea on the vibrating collar tho.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting, I have had herding dogs for almost 10 yrs & never dealt with this prob lol lol, I have had them try to herd other things moving (bikes, joggers, other dogs while playing... Etc) it will be interesting to see the responses on this, I would like to know how to train a deaf dog too :) I really commend you, Helen for giving a chance to a dog like this :)

Good idea on the vibrating collar tho.
Well, this (what looks to me like) herding behavior on walks is so far the only real problem I've had with this pup, other than trying to get her attention. She's incredibly smart!

If you wanna know how to train a deaf dog, it's just exactly the same as a hearing one! Only you have to use hand signals or body posture to communicate instead of using your voice. I've read it time and time again, that this is what dogs prefer anyway, seeing as how they use body language for far more than their voice.

So you have herding dogs, huh? Apparently my pup is supposed to be some kind of Catahoula mix, and I hear that's a hog herding type dog. ;) Since I observed her first tendencies towards herding, I've decided to try and teach my pup the game of Treiball. Do you try to fulfill the herding sintincts of your dogs? What do you do with them?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For the past few days we've tried running around the block before doing walking, and she still presents this behavior intermittently while walking nicely on the lead. I think I'll try having her carry a toy for a few days and see if that works... If not I'm running out of ideas.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Have you tried stopping? Like, whwn she starts doing it just stop & be a tree, cross your arms across your chest & turn away from her til then she stops, then resume the walk, if she does it again then wash, repeat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you tried stopping? Like, whwn she starts doing it just stop & be a tree, cross your arms across your chest & turn away from her til then she stops, then resume the walk, if she does it again then wash, repeat.
I absolutely do that. When I ignore her like that she ends up doing lots of sniffing or getting fixated on birds or something. Regardless of how much she cools down though, she'll usually pick it up again once I start walking again.

I kind of feel like she's just being really pushy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts