Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jumping, jumping on everyone again! She was doing so well and I know she knows the word OFF. My mother who is 74 years old came over and she practically knocks her over!!:mad: A little boy about 5 years old was over yesterday and she was jumping all over him too. I used the e collar to stop this behaviour and she caught on quick and I only had to use it 3 times but she started again AND the other day she looked right at me and peed on the deck and in the house:eek: She was housetrained for 6 months already! Is this the teenage (she just turned 1) period other people have talked about and I was hoping she never would go through?? I can housebreak her again and catch her in the act and take her to the vet if it continues in case she has a UTI again but I WILL NOT TOLERATE THE JUMPING ON PEOPLE!! She knows her obedience and tricks but could care less about anything right now. I have NEVER had a dog this challenging before, she's soooooo stubborn

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think I know how you feel. My sister-in-law has Kali's full husky sister, she's just like this, stubborn and rude even. She's demanding and doesn't listen. I think your catching a bit of the tail end of the teenager phase.
I read about this somewhere that a woman who clicker trains used this to keep her dog from jumping.
The dog jumped and she'd go 'Oh you won a prize!' in the sweetest happiest voice then she'd take her dog into a very boring room away from the new people for a minute or so, then she'd try again. If her dog jumped, same routine.
You could combine that a little with like a sit for greeting a person. Have her on leash at first, ask her to sit, if she doesn't and jumps up, take her out of the room, and leave her by herself for a minute or so.
Dunno if that helps, but it might be a good way to outsmart some of the stubbornness *grin*
Btw is Dakota(I think your dog's name is) a husky or artic breed? Our of curiosity.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's a Bernese. She's getting a bit taller and stronger too which is not good when it comes to jumping. I think I'll try first what you suggested before I get out the e collar again. I used it when nothing else was working before and she finally "got it" but I really didn't like using it but obviously she forgot about it.
What gets me is after she jumps on my mom and my mom comes into the living room she gets all in my mother's face, she's so friendly that she forgets her manners, so I got mad (no calmness at this point:eek:) and told her to get back and go lay down! in the kitchen and blocked her off and Dakota gets this sad thing going on and won't look at me or even eat and this is after a couple of hours has past. She's a real head game

·
Registered
434 Posts
I hope you find something that works, I've honesly debated getting an e collar for working on off leash stuff with my aussie. She's a total spazz outside, and if I don't keep her attention 100% fo the time it's like...WOOSH! she's gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts