Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew I was dragging my feet for a reason.

I took my old girl to the vet this morning. She's been off her food, and constipated. The vet felt a mass in her abdomen so we did an ultrasound and it showed a tumor. He suspects Hemangiosarcoma but of course the only way to know for certain is to biopsy, and that would require opening her up because of the danger of a needle biopsy hitting the tumor and bursting it or something like that. I was listening but not really. I was sorta in a daze. I was crying before he even entered the room, but luckily got that under control. He said something about he could remove her spleen, and half her liver. She may live two weeks to a few months.

I've already decided no surgery. She's been through too many tumor removals the last few years, and although she's like the energizer bunny, the last surgery was harder for her to bounce back from. But it got us a few more miles down the road together, and I'm grateful for that. God, I just went through this with Wiley in November, and the tears for him haven't even dried yet.

I would like to know what to expect. I think he said something about the tumor would continue to grow and eventually burst? I don't know. I intend to follow up with her regular vet who is out of the office for the rest of the week. We'll need some meds to keep her comfortable. I can get her to eat foods I cook for her, but she won't eat her dog food, not even I mix it in as the vet suggested. Nope, she's not going for it. So maybe you all can suggest some foods. Lately it's been ground beef and some chicken, and an occasional milk bone. I need to be careful not to give her diarrhea. She had a little of that last night after she ate the chicken.

Oh man, this really, really sucks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm so sorry your girl has this. I've lost two of my dogs to it. One was a smooth collie and the other a GSD.

They both had completely different cases of it. If you truely want to know what to watch for and what to expect I'll PM you with the details of both of these guys. I'm not sure it will make you feel better or worse though. I think it would have been helpful for us if we knew more of what to look for and expect, especially with my boy (he was first). Not that it would have made much of a difference in what we did but I would have been more prepared and also probably would have made a decision to let him go a day or two sooner than I did.

As far as food goes do whatever it is she likes and she can eat without an upset stomach. Ideally something grain free/low carb is better for cancer. Both times ours were on this type of food to begin with. In fact after my boy's case and him managing to live for close to a year with it my vet started to carry EVO and put the cancer dogs on it. Have you tried the frozen raw patties for her? There are a few companies that make them.

What did your vet suggest for pain management?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a prescription for Torbutrol, 1/2 of a 5mg every 12 hours, and he warned me to be very careful with it. I gave her the first one this evening, and she is sleeping soundly.

As far as food goes, I just went to the store and got her some goodies. Funny thing when a dog won't eat beef but will eat a Hershey's Kiss and chocolate chip cookies. I can't imagine where she gets that. ;) I told my husband that's the way I would want to go too. Just get me a 5lb bag of Kisses and feed them to me and I'll die happy.

I won't let her suffer. I have already signed the euthanasia forms, so everything is ready when the day comes. It seems like yesterday she was this tiny little ball of black fuzz that fit in the palm of my hands. Feels like fifteen years in dog years. The companionship of an old dog is one of the best things in life, and letting one go has to be one of the worst.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts