Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're moving this week and as a few members have suggested, I brought Molly over to the new house yesterday. We scattered some of her toys & some liver treats around the house and, after having her eliminate in the area she'll use, I brought her into the house and let her run around investigating. She seemed interested at first, was not really into her toys and ate up the treats. After a few minutes in the house, however, she seemed to get a bit nervous, was shaking slightly & kept curling up in my lap. She could have been still upset from the long car ride, which she really doesn't like. The question I have is this: given her fear in the car, does it make sense to bring her over a few more times to experience the house before we move or should I just keep the stress low (for her and me) and bring her again on the day we move?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
hmmm. I'd hate to have her relate the new house to a nerve-wracking car ride. Maybe if when you get there to get her used to the place, you can first take her for a stroll around the neighborhood then give her yummies and toys inside?

Most dogs, IME acclimate very quickly once the furniture is there with their scents all over it. Maybe you don't have to take her there until you are all moved in...?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm. I'd hate to have her relate the new house to a nerve-wracking car ride. Maybe if when you get there to get her used to the place, you can first take her for a stroll around the neighborhood then give her yummies and toys inside?

Most dogs, IME acclimate very quickly once the furniture is there with their scents all over it. Maybe you don't have to take her there until you are all moved in...?
Ah, the furniture odors, that's what I was thinking, too. I figured she may be much more comfortable when she sees/smells our stuff around the house. I'd rather not expose her to the car stress if I don't have to. Great idea to do a little neighborhood walk first. Thanks so much for your response!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Holly never came in this house until everything was in here, then she sniffed about for abit, then took a nap on the sofa.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts