Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two cats, one male and one female, both fixed. About a week ago we adopted a black lab and brought her home. Ever since, I've noticed an increase in territorial behavior from my male cat (he's always been territorial with the other cat as well, but he's gotten more aggressive). He's recently started peeing in the living room corner. He doesn't have particularly strong smelling urine, so we didn't realize it until we caught him. We've caught the female peeing there as well (only once, her urine is VERY strong, so we'd notice if she'd done it any more). We cleaned it up with carpet cleaner and sprayed Nature's Miracle all over it, but my boyfriend said he caught him doing it again. We've also caught him peeing on the dog's bed.

Is there a way to help him adjust to the new pet so he'll stop? Or is there anyway to just make him stop? I'm desperate here, the carpet is nearly new and I don't want him to keep doing it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Put something over the spot where the cat is peeing in the living room corner after giving it another treatment from the enzyme cleaner (the crystals in the cats urine need to be broken down). You may want to take the cat to the vet, some times stress can cause cats to have medical issues when it comes to the litter box and you don't want the cat to get into the habit of not using the litter box. Also, look around and make sure there is somewhere for the cats to go and sit up high so they can safely observe the dog and get used to the idea of co-existing and possibly becoming friends (my cats just tolerate my dog and it's been over two years). I also didn't allow the dog in the back of the house so my cats had a 'dog free zone' where they could relax and not have to worry about that hairy, horrible beast coming and ruining all of their relaxing in the sun time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts