Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a horrible, horrible story. I went of vacation Feb 11th and left my beloved 11 month old chihuahua with mother. She raises wiener dogs, teaches classes, shows dogs, dog sits, etc. I spent a ton of time acclamating my Little Girl to my moms house.

Upon arriving home from vacation she informed me she LOST her 3 days earlier and did not tell me. It was snowing and she had her out with other dogs with no coats on. My mom lives out in the country with tons of coyotes and birds of pray. I told her to never let her go outside without a leash on. I don't know the whole story, my mom has been know to lie. I just can't believe she lost my dog that meant the world to me!

Little Girl was my shadow, I had her since she was 8 weeks and we immediatly bonded, couldn't ask for a better dog. She was with me 24/7 and went everywhere with me. It killed me not being able to take her to Hawaii and was not going to back there because I missed her so.

Now she is gone forever and I was almost in the hospital over the whole ordeal. I am so sad, cranking and just can't seem to move on. It's been one month on Sunday.

I did get a new 6 month chi pup and she is helping but it is such a struggle right now. Is it going to get any better? The worst part is I don't know what happen to her, I am sure she perished in the cold or worse, I can't stand to think I let her down like that....I so blame myself.

I did put her in all the papers with flyers with a $1,000.00 reward but she was not really anywhere were she was "stolen". We have canvased the area where she was lost. I'll never ever forgive my mom for what she did. How damn irresponible can someone be?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
oh my god I can't imagine.. I don't know what I would do.. I think I would just curl up in a ball and die. :( I can't even think about it.. How terrible :(

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
The issue is the lack of closure. You just don't really KNOW what ahappened to her.. if she went out and did not come in of if the Dachsie's killed her or who knows what? Not knowing is what is eating you alive.

IU can tell you this much:
Yes. It will get better with time, but if it does not in another month, try to find a grief counselor and a counselor and talk it out. A dog is never "just a dog" and we are often closer to our pets than we are to people in our lives.

Yes. You can work thru this.

And yes.. eventually you will let it go. Letting it go means just that. It does not mean forgetting or not loving the dog you lost.

People here do understand... losing a pet can leave a really big hole.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I just lost my Sassy. Not in the same way, so I know the feelings are different. But it still hurts, it's really hard and it will get better with time. Have you been to Petloss.com ? I found that site to be helpful. I'm sure there is someone there that has been through something similiar.

Take care and give yourself some time.....Tricia

·
Registered
640 Posts
I am so sorry... that is heartbreaking! :( Something similar happened to me years ago (I was a teenager; now I'm in my 30's)... I won't go into details but my father was the culprit. The pain does get easier... but I won't lie, sometimes I still get angry all over again about it, even all these years later. The pain of not knowing what happened is definitely the worst.

What helped me was 1) telling off my father about it... yelling, screaming, crying, so that he really GOT how terrible this was... and 2) letting myself grieve and cry all I needed to. The pain does get easier and having another sweet little pup will definitely help, especially as the months go by and you love her more and more.

I'm so sorry again for such a heartbreaking loss of your sweet girl!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Dogs DO leave footprints in our hearts. No matter how big or small the dog or no matter how long you've had it.

Your wound is still fresh. But, it WILL heal. You just need to give yourself time to mourn. She knows that you didn't hurt her. She knows you did what you felt was in her best interest at the time. She loved you and I'm sure, if she is at the bridge, is waiting for you. You will see her again, only this time with wings.

Take care of yourself. Do it for your new puppy, but esp. do it for yourself.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I am so very sorry. I think your mother owes you the true story. She doesn't sound like someone very trustworthy and I'm sorry you, and your dog, have to pay for it. I hope you find out what happened to your dog.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
That is really heartbreaking. It is going to take you a long time to get over it....
I would maybe consider talking to a therapist because what happened was devastating. It is so disappointing your mother didn't try harder to find her asap.
{{{hugs}}} I hope you can find some joy with your new pet...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts