Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home, a few hrs. ago, a rescue dog that has all the proper vet care (supposedly) and have introduced him to my dog.

After 3 hrs I see him scratching and see a flea right on top of his long wiry coat.

It just so happens I had one Capstar here at home. I immediately gave it to him and put him in a crate in the garage. I feel awful because I can hear him crying. I know it takes half an hour for Capstar to work. He's only been in my kitchen but with my dog. What are the odds my own dog got fleas? I'm going to sweep the whole kitchen right now and then give the new dog a bath and probably my first dog too. So the fleas are dead after half an hour and he won't have any more?

Any advice? what are the chances of fleas all over now?

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i would not just sweep the kitchen, i would vacuum everything. i think that sweeping would just push the eggs around if there are any on the floor. i would vacuum everywhere the new dog has been.

i dealt with fleas in march. i treated everyone (i have 2 cats, 2 ferrets, and a dog) for 2 months with advantage and i threw everything in the washer that i could. for everything else i put food grade diatomaceous earth on it all and then vacuumed it all up after about an hour. i even vacuumed my mattress and pillows and everything. luckily i had hardwood throughout my entire apt so it was much easier to take care of them.

i think that since the new dog has only been in your house for 3 hours you shouldn't need that much of a clean up. i would definitely vacuum everywhere the dog was though. good luck :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Fleas don't like cedar so put cedar chips in your dog beds. Also if you want to know if you have a flea problem, they like the color white, so lay a white sock or pillow case on the floor and the fleas will jump to the white.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts