Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi, i recently adopted a 4 month old large lab mix puppy from a shelter. he's so good, is already housebroken, has learned sit, down working on stay. my problem is that because of his size,when he plays i guess its really loud downstairs and my neighbors bang on the ceiling. i take him to the park to drain his energy and he gets walked frequently but he's a beautiful pup and is going to play. the times they've banged are not really late at all, 7:30pm 9pm is the latest. they are nice people but don't speak english so i can't even discuss this with them. they have a very small dog. i don't know how to deal with this and it makes me anxious at night that he might run or play. oh yeah, my floors are carpeted. any ideas? this is a picture of him, his name is bear. thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,834 Posts
What you have is not so much a dog problem as a housing problem.

It is nearly impossible to wear out a young healthy lab - especially on a leash.

Read up on crate training to avoid the dog running around when you'd like him to be sleeping, but be aware that a dog unaccustomed to a crate is going to bark and whine during the adjustment period and that is likely to be more troublesome than the romping around.

My son just moved into a second floor apartment (with hardwood floors) with his adult lab mix and I don't have a good feeling about their prospects.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If you know what language they speak, google a translator website and write a short note to them. Something like,

Dear neighbor,

I live upstairs above you. I just wanted to let you know that I apologize that my new puppy is making thumping noises sometimes. I know that sound travels easily through the ceilings and am really doing my best to not disturb you, especially later at night.

However, because he IS a puppy, he will sometimes make noise. I really appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. As he gets older he will hopefully settle down.

Sincerely,

"X"

Just something from you thanking them in advance for their patience and acknowledging the fact that he does make noise occasionally, will make them more likely to be a little tolerant. Maybe bake some cookies to send along with the note. It's hard for people to be very snotty to someone who is so obviously trying to be nice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'd tell them I have a heart condition and to please refrain from banging as it startles me and sends my heart into arrhythmia. ;)

Then mention the pup and apologize about the noise.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
If you know what language they speak, google a translator website and write a short note to them. Something like,

Dear neighbor,

I live upstairs above you. I just wanted to let you know that I apologize that my new puppy is making thumping noises sometimes. I know that sound travels easily through the ceilings and am really doing my best to not disturb you, especially later at night.

However, because he IS a puppy, he will sometimes make noise. I really appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. As he gets older he will hopefully settle down.

Sincerely,

"X"

Just something from you thanking them in advance for their patience and acknowledging the fact that he does make noise occasionally, will make them more likely to be a little tolerant. Maybe bake some cookies to send along with the note. It's hard for people to be very snotty to someone who is so obviously trying to be nice.
This is VERY good advice! You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Cracker has separation anxiety, which is much improved but took MONTHs of work..as soon as I realized she was howling/whining I sent notes to all of my neighbours, explaining the situation and asking them to help by letting me know when they heard her, for how long etc and that I was working diligently on the problem. All were understanding and very happy to tell me when she improved! People like to know you are considering their feelings and to feel like they are helping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts