Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is 9 week old and I have had him a week and he's teething he follows me everytime I leave the room and if I go to the toilet he cries any advice

·
Registered
216 Posts
He's not used to being left alone. You will want to build up time slowly. Start by just walking a few feet away, then going out of sight for just a second, then for longer time. And at night, keep his crate in your room, right by your bed. You can slowly increase distance if you choose. (across the room, in the doorway, in the hallway, in another room)
But don't just let him "cry it out", as that won't help. 9-week puppies aren't ready to be left alone very long, this is a bonding period, and he's used to living with siblings 34/7. (and you probably won't want to leave him alone anyway, given how often young puppies need to potty)

As far as teething, buy chew toys for him to help with any inappropriate chewing, preferably ones meant for teething- these are meant to relieve teething discomfort, and many can be frozen, which helps even more. When he chews something he's not supposed to, don't yell, spray him with water, smack his nose, shake a penny can, or anything else. Just distract him: redirect him to a toy that he is allowed to chew- this will show him what is appropriate to chew. If you are consistent enough with this, he will eventually learn to go to the toy in the first place. (You may need to gently guide him by his collar away from the thing that he was chewing)

Make sure to do something to occupy his mind. This is good for him, it will reduce the likelihood of boredom behaviors like chewing or barking, and most will help him bond to you. Consider hiding treats in the grass or inside and having him sniff for them, (start easy, in places where he can see them, so he can get used to the "find it" command, and make it harder later) or try short training sessions for age-appropriate tricks and obedience, try a simple puzzle toy, or play hide-and-seek. Many puppies really enjoy recall training, (make sure the rewards are fun and varied- a tug toy, chicken, etc) and he will benefit from it when he is older and less likely to want to recall.

Reactions: Lorvig and K9luv

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's not used to being left alone. You will want to build up time slowly. Start by just walking a few feet away, then going out of sight for just a second, then for longer time. And at night, keep his crate in your room, right by your bed. You can slowly increase distance if you choose. (across the room, in the doorway, in the hallway, in another room)
But don't just let him "cry it out", as that won't help. 9-week puppies aren't ready to be left alone very long, this is a bonding period, and he's used to living with siblings 34/7. (and you probably won't want to leave him alone anyway, given how often young puppies need to potty)

As far as teething, buy chew toys for him to help with any inappropriate chewing, preferably ones meant for teething- these are meant to relieve teething discomfort, and many can be frozen, which helps even more. When he chews something he's not supposed to, don't yell, spray him with water, smack his nose, shake a penny can, or anything else. Just distract him: redirect him to a toy that he is allowed to chew- this will show him what is appropriate to chew. If you are consistent enough with this, he will eventually learn to go to the toy in the first place. (You may need to gently guide him by his collar away from the thing that he was chewing)

Make sure to do something to occupy his mind. This is good for him, it will reduce the likelihood of boredom behaviors like chewing or barking, and most will help him bond to you. Consider hiding treats in the grass or inside and having him sniff for them, (start easy, in places where he can see them, so he can get used to the "find it" command, and make it harder later) or try short training sessions for age-appropriate tricks and obedience, try a simple puzzle toy, or play hide-and-seek. Many puppies really enjoy recall training, (make sure the rewards are fun and varied- a tug toy, chicken, etc) and he will benefit from it when he is older and less likely to want to recall.
Thank you your advice was realy helpfull I have got him teething and chew toys but he prefers to chew my hand I never leave him alone he sleeps on my bed with me at night and if I have to go out I make sure somebody is with him I'm just struggling with leaving him and getting in the shower, I was told to leave him on his own because he will get to attached to me but I see him as a baby and feel realy bad when he cries

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thank you your advice was realy helpfull I have got him teething and chew toys but he prefers to chew my hand I never leave him alone he sleeps on my bed with me at night and if I have to go out I make sure somebody is with him I'm just struggling with leaving him and getting in the shower, I was told to leave him on his own because he will get to attached to me but I see him as a baby and feel realy bad when he cries
It is good to practice leaving him alone, but be sure not to just leave him somewhere- start with very, very short periods of time. (And since he's so young, it's not a bad idea to be with him most of the time.) You may not be able to leave him while going to the shower yet (depending on your living situation, you could have someone else stay with him, leave the door open, or bring him into the bathroom, if you don't mind) But if you start practicing going onto your bathroom briefly/closing the door for a moment, you should be able to increase duration to the point where you can eventually take a shower with him elsewhere.
And yeah, if you stick with redirecting him and ignoring him when he bites, he should eventually learn not to chew your hand.

You said he sleeps in your bed- just note: if he is sleeping on the bed now, he will expect to always be allowed to. If he is a medium to large sized dog, that may be a bad thing in the future, so if you want to change that, you'll likely want to do it now. It may actually help him to sleep on the floor next to your bed, but if that makes him more anxious, definitely don't do it- you know your dog.

Reactions: K9luv

·
Registered
75 Posts
My pup was like this too! Don't worry, i'd say it's pretty normal and it does get better with time. I left the door open while showering, he was wailing at the tub on the other side of the curtain at first 🙄 Not sure how, but once he gained some independence, it went a lot easier.

Actually I do know how I got through it. We played the flitting game. I don't have the link to the article given to me on another forum, but i'll try to explain. So you walk all over doing your regular stuff like cleaning up. Your pup follows you and eventually gets bored and starts to look for things to keep her occupied with on her own. Make sure she has access to toys and chews. When you see her doing something good, anything, make sure to praise her, even if it's a "good girl". Reward offered good behavior. This will allow you to walk out a room without her freaking. It takes time and practice, but really works when you stick it out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My puppy is 9 week old and I have had him a week and he's teething he follows me everytime I leave the room and if I go to the toilet he cries any advice
Thank you everyone for all your advice I'm just realy scared I'm doing everything wrong I'm so soft when it comes to animals I can't help it ive raised 3 kids on my own but yet this seems alot harder I give in to easy and I don't like hearing him cry but ill get there and if it wasn't for all your advice I don't know what I'd do I realy appreciate it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts