Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 month old lab will not stop peeing in the floor. I don’t know what to do, I’m at a loss. I take her out to pee and she comes back in and pees in the floor. It’s not a UTI. She went to the vet yesterday. I’m getting extremely frustrated with her. I bought some of the bells that hang off the door that are supposed to help train dogs but have no clue how to use them they came with no instructions. Has anyone used these and been successful?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Does she pee as you lean over her to unsnap the lead? If so that is submissive peeing. How soon after coming in does she pee?

She is 4 months old and not housebroken. That is for certain.
Do you use a crate? If you do on thing you could do is bring her in and she goes straight into the crate. Fifteen minutes later, take her straight back out again... and see if she pees.

·
Super Moderator
12,162 Posts
The bell is used by a house-trained dog to alert you that she needs (or at least wants) to go out. It will not work as an aid to house-training. I've had a couple of bell-trained dogs and I would rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than have another. Some dogs (both of the ones we had) tend to ring the bell whenever they want attention and at the most inopportune times.

In the meantime, it is up to you to take her outside more frequently than you would have imagined possible. It will be a PIA but it won't go on forever. Use a crate or tether her to you to minimize the opportunities to fail. Make a huge big deal (likely involving treats and praise - labs love treats and praise) when she goes outside and make no fuss at all if she goes inside. Frankly, if she does, it's your fault, not hers. Any form of punishment (and for a lab, that might just mean a look of stern disapproval) will only encourage her to urinate somewhere where you can't see her.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you mean you take her out, she pees; you bring her back in and she immediately pees again, try keeping her out longer, walking her around a bit, maybe playing with her for a few minutes after the first puddle and then walking her again to get her to go again before returning to the house. You could also try out, pees, in and into crate for 15 minutes (assuming she's crate trained and doesn't pee there) and then from crate to outside again. If she's not yet too heavy, on that second time, scoop her up and carry her outside so she has no chance to squat on the way.

If you mean you take her out, she pees and then some time passes but not what seems to you a lot of time and she pees again, then you need to suit the intervals between trips outside to what she can handle, even if that's only 30 minutes.

Also, everyone recommends praising and celebrating when they go outside, but you need to suit that praise to your particular puppy. If she's confident and exuberant by nature, then exuberant praise may be just the ticket. If she's a quieter puppy, wild praise may be too much and she may do better with a quieter but no less sincere kind of praise.

·
Banned
1 Posts
My 4 month old lab will not stop peeing in the floor. I don’t know what to do, I’m at a loss. I take her out to pee and she comes back in and pees in the floor. It’s not a UTI. She went to the vet yesterday. I’m getting extremely frustrated with her. I bought some of the bells that hang off the door that are supposed to help train dogs but have no clue how to use them they came with no instructions. Has anyone used these and been successful?

Have you considered getting professional help. There is this program called "Brain training for dogs", which is founded by Adrienne Farricelli. She and her team has helped thousands dog owners lessen their stress. The info could be found here -->[LINK DELETED BY MODERATOR] Could be beneficial for you.

Kind regards

·
Super Moderator
12,162 Posts
Have you considered getting professional help. There is this program called "Brain training for dogs", which is founded by Adrienne Farricelli. She and her team has helped thousands dog owners lessen their stress. The info could be found here -->[LINK DELETED BY MODERATOR] Could be beneficial for you.

Kind regards
Have you considered getting a real job instead of spamming forums with your brain training crap? Could be beneficial for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts