Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pregnant female last night got in my closet no puppies yet. But my other female who is much older woke me by growling at her like she wants to kill her. She has never acted like that before. Could it be puppy time ??? I have them separate now cuz this has never happened before. Would my other dogs turn on her cuz it is close to time? I am so confused cuz for years they have always been so close and never aggressive towards each other.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Keep them separated. The pregnant bitch doesn't need the stress of the other bitch being aggressive towards her and/or her litter.

Have you been taking the pregnant bitch's temperature regularly? Gestation averages 63 days, with a range of 58 to 68 being considered normal. There is typically a significant temperature drop 24 to 28 hours before whelping.

Do you have someone with experience in breeding and whelping to help you with this litter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m scared it’s the pregnant one who is starting the fights they have been together all her life. Why is she so aggressive to her she is 1. Significantly bigger she is a pitbull. 2. She has always loved her always. I have my husband and son here. But the aggression is no joke. The 2 males I have here she could care less. As soon as we have them together she goes off.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Seriously, it's not worth debating or analyzing the reasons "why" the dam is aggressive now and not previously.

Simple fact is -- she is. Simple fact is -- it's nature, normal, and par for the course. Simple fact is -- keep her separated.

Starting now, segregate her from ALL of your other dogs, for 100% of the time. This means separate, safe, and secure living quarters for the dam (including the pups too, when they arrive). She will also require solitary feedings, walks, yard time, play time, socialization time etc. Use barriers, crates, x pens, and / or closed doors as a means to do so. At least until the puppies are ~ 8 to 10 weeks old and they leave for their new homes. THEN, and only then you can begin to gradually re-introduce her to the rest of your dogs.

My guess is, that may seem like a lot of extra work to you. But these steps must be taken because the safety of your adult dogs AND THE PUPS is at stake here.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It's entirely possible that the pregnant bitch is nearing whelping, and is uncomfortable with having then other bitch around her at this time. Most bitches are protective of their puppies, and appreciate having other dogs in the household kept away from the whelping box area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seriously, it's not worth debating or analyzing the reasons "why" the dam is aggressive now and not previously.

Simple fact is -- she is. Simple fact is -- it's nature, normal, and par for the course. Simple fact is -- keep her separated.

Starting now, segregate her from ALL of your other dogs, for 100% of the time. This means separate, safe, and secure living quarters for the dam (including the pups too, when they arrive). She will also require solitary feedings, walks, yard time, play time, socialization time etc. Use barriers, crates, x pens, and / or closed doors as a means to do so. At least until the puppies are ~ 8 to 10 weeks old and they leave for their new homes. THEN, and only then you can begin to gradually re-introduce her to the rest of your dogs.

My guess is, that may seem like a lot of extra work to you. But these steps must be taken because the safety of your adult dogs AND THE PUPS is at stake here.
Oh my god they have arrived. This morning what a circus. I was woke from a dead sleep by horrific growling. They both looked like they was gonna kill each other. I screamed for my husband and my son came downstairs. I have been putting the pregnant bitch in her safe place her cage at night and they was both drooling and snarling and there lay one pup. I have the one in her cage in my office I have a what I call is a pony door, half door my husband shoved the pitbull out and closed the door. It settled and 5 pups were born. Unfortunately the runt didn’t make it she lived about 10 min we buried her. But we are still having a big issue. Husband has to go to work and it will be a lot of work. But the safety of the puppies is what is important. The pitbull is being aggressive to all of them now. I’m thinking the energy in my house if setting her off. Estrogen or something I’m no expert. But the balance in my house is not good.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Estrogen or something I’m no expert.
This whole situation is a good case for why most people feel that breeding is best left for the experts. It's not a sunny day picnic, I can assure you.

Have you not been following the advice given in this thread? Sounds like you haven't, so if I were you I'd start there.

If you had been taking her temperature you would've had advance notice that whelping was imminent, which would've given you time to prepare. That, coupled with the fact whelpings occur most often in the middle of the night when the environment is calm and placid. And, in turn, you could've predicted it would require you to remain awake throughout that night in order to sit with the dam keeping her safe and comfortable until the birthing was complete.

Anyway, going forward ... Safe, secure, 100% separation. 100% of the time. Foolproof on the dog's part and without fail on yours.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
If you cannot separate the dogs then you need to send one of them down the road.

Are they all Pits or Pit Mix dogs?

In the end, the stressed Mother may kill her own puppies if the stress is too much. If not, the other bitch will kill the puppies. Then the two bitches will do their best to kill each other.

It is unlikely these two dogs will ever again co-exist in peace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have 1 full pit and the others are all pit mixes. My two females have never ever been aggressive and always together but right before the babies was born the mixed one that is squared up for now reason and now Rox the oldest and yes the full blooded pit. She is staying everything to get to her and it gets super scary and aggressive. I noticed that the pit is lactating I’m wonder if her hormones are out of wack. I don’t kno.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why ask for advice if you won't listen to any of it? Separate them before you have a disaster.
I have separated them since the first sign of aggression. I don’t them to hurt each other or any of us I guess I am just trying to understand why now there are babies it has to change.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Nature. You are trying to battle and win against nature. That is the understanding.

Quit assigning human emotions and rational to the dogs. These are domesticated ANIMALS.

Welcome to the harshness of nature.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If the other bitch was in season, and definitely not bred, then she is probably experiencing a false pregnancy. Some bitches become aggressive to other dogs when they are experiencing the hormones of pregnancy, be it real or false. They will even collect and try to nurse "puppies" like toys or shoes, and guard them ferociously from other dogs and/or their humans.

Right now, you need to keep them absolutely separated, with at least two barriers between them. Once the puppies are weaned and gone (in 8 to 10 weeks), and she stops lactating, you can try reintroducing them, but be prepared for it to not go well. And honestly, if the reintroduction goes badly, I'd either seriously consider rehoming one of them or else be prepared to spend the rest of their lives in a strict crate and rotate situation (which is darned hard to do).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts