Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out tonight that my old man, my Ranger Dog, my start of my love of German Shepherd Dogs....has been put in rescue.

His primary master just passed away of cancer, and the family gave him up. To say my heart is broken is a complete understatement. Ranger will be 12 in September, and I don't know who besides me would want this sweet old soul.

My heart aches and my soul weeps for the loss of this dog....I found him on Petfinder tonight and it feels like my gut has been ripped from my body.

Please, pray that I can bring him home. That bitch be damned, I want my Old Man where he belongs....he deserves better.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13413421

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Awww, poor old man. He needs a good retirement home. Here's vibes that you can get him!

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's in a home that is far too "busy" for him....I doubt too many will jump for the opportunity to adopt an 11 year and 7 month old GSD....but I don't know :(

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Xeph, do you have a contract that states the dog was supposed to come to you if it needed to be rehomed for ANy reason? If so, the rescue may very well honor it, especially with a senior dog that is SOOO hard to place.

Nevermind, I see that you were his handler. I wrote the rescue and included the quote on your site that referred to him. I also to be a refferal for you, I hope he will be returned to you. You're both in my prayers!!!!

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Carla.

I know this may seem strange for a "handler" to want the dog...but I've known Ranger since his former family acquired him at a year old. Shepherds weren't even on my list of dogs to own when I was getting into showing...they just kind of happened...but Ranger and Hans were the seedlings for my love of this great breed.

His former family has also known me since I was a baby, so it feels like the sting has been multiplied 1000 fold because I wasn't told. I worked with him for 5 years before he was retired. I love that dog...he's my Old Man...my Ranger Dog.

At the very least I would have helped to rehome him myself.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I can't imagine there will be a stampede to adopt a 12 year old with health problems. As somebody who knows the breed and the individual dog, I can't imagine they would consider placing him with anyone else. If I were running that rescue, I would consider the matter closed upon receipt of your email (pending a brief investigation that you are who you say you are).

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I know this may seem strange for a "handler" to want the dog...but I've known Ranger since his former family acquired him at a year old. Shepherds weren't even on my list of dogs to own when I was getting into showing...they just kind of happened...but Ranger and Hans were the seedlings for my love of this great breed.
Xeph
As an X-Handler It does not seem funny/strange to me. Please do what ever you can to assure his last days are comfortable.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I checked it out to see where he was located. If for some silly reason they would not let you have him I would have offered. He is close to you and I know that would be MUCH BETTER for him.

Keep us posted and you are allowed to love any dog you want to and your feelings are not "strange." This old guy needs to be in a good place with a soft landing. He earned it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I hope it works out Xeph. I agree with Muppet; if he were one of our resuces we'd have him to you within the day.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Ok, now I am crying like a baby looking at him laying there and knowing how broken hearted you are. I am praying for you Xeph and Ranger.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope you can get him back. He looks so sad. :(

Why would they not adopt him to you?
I'm a college student, don't have a lot of money, young, I'm sure they'd assume I'd be inexperienced with the breed.

There are lots of other reasons, but not ones I'd care to mention here...

I just look at that sad face in the kitchen of some stranger's home, and realize that that is not Ranger dog. There is no life in those eyes, no wag in that tail...just a heavy heart and a lost soul.

Ranger would not do well in a home with young children, but 12+ he's ok. I will admit that while the son as a general whole is not a bad person, he did tease Ranger, so Ranger will tolerate teenage boys, but is overall wary of them.

He does ok with cats and is an extremely biddable dog as long as you are fair to him. His loyalty to Brian was astounding...to me the disloyalty of family is astounding.

I understand they are having a rough time, I REALLY do....things are CRAPPY right now all over. Maybe I just "don't understand the same way" because in times like this I need my dogs more than ever. They are not a burden, they are an emotional salvation.

I wish we could show half the loyalty to our dogs that they show us.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I understand they are having a rough time, I REALLY do....things are CRAPPY right now all over. Maybe I just "don't understand the same way" because in times like this I need my dogs more than ever. They are not a burden, they are an emotional salvation.

I wish we could show half the loyalty to our dogs that they show us.
I couldn't agree with you more.

I really hope everything works out for you and Ranger, Xeph.
*fingers..and toes crossed*

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm sure this will sound terrible, but I would have much preferred that they had taken him to the vet and euthanized him, rather than dumping him, old and lonely as he is, with some stranger in a house hold with so many children and other pets.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I'm sure this will sound terrible, but I would have much preferred that they had taken him to the vet and euthanized him, rather than dumping him, old and lonely as he is, with some stranger in a house hold with so many children and other pets.
Don't beat yourself up, I would do the same and my power of attorney has those instructions should something happen to wife and I with our 10 yr old dog. I would not put her out there as the thought of what could happen is something I don't need.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts