Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 5 month old dogs. They are brother and sister. The male is almost fully housebroken, he still pees a little if your not paying attention to him when he lets you know. But the female is still pooping on the carpet. You can take her out and she will stay out for a while and not poop. You bring her inside and she poops. She has 2 spots she likes to poop. I have cleaned the spot numerous times with Resolve carpet cleaner. Nothing. Any tips :confused:

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You need to catch them in the act. It's very important not to finish going potty in the house because that is very self-rewarding. You clap you hands, say "No...Outside" and then you quickly herd them to the potty area to finish. Lots of praise for finishing in the right spot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Take it back to the basics. Do not let them out of your sight while out of their crate. Keep their leashes tied to your belt loop when they are around the house. If you can't supervise them, than put them back into their crates. Set up a strict bathrroom schedule and be sure to teach them to ring a bell when they go out the door to go relieve themselves.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You must be consistent with your little girl. If you are not around to watch her, then it would be best if you put her in her crate. If it is time for her to potty take her outside. If you are able to keep an eye on her, and catch her in the act of pooping, take her outside immediately. Keep doing this until she gets used to it.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Also, you need to clean up with an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle not Resolve Carpet Cleaner otherwise you're not destroying the odor at the microscopic level, which you must do or the dog can still smell it and is drawn to that spot to do its business.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help. I think I may have figured it out. I have been taking both dogs out at the same time, and she is more worried about playing then pooping. I have decided to try to take them out seperately. It seems to be working. We will see. I also work from home so I am in the office most of the day, so I have started keeping her in there with me if she don't poop. Thanx for all the help. I will keep ya posted on how it's going. :D

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Don't give any non-housebroken dog unsupervised access to the house. It sounds like you have two of them here. Keep the dog crated if you can't supervise them. Just go back to the basics like everyone else has suggested.

·
Registered
629 Posts
We have two puppies as well. They are 2 and almost 1 now.

Great detective work. I do let them out by themselves or they do play. Also, as yours get older and they start to play rougher you may have to give them time apart.

I am sure you know not to rub her nose in it. You can't yell at her unless you see her do it or it's out of her head and she has no idea why you are yelling. The suggestion for the Nature's Miracle is good too. I don't know if the Shout takes the smell out and she will return to the same area.

The thing I wish I'd done differently... having them sleep somewhere other than our bed. Our last dog was tiny, sleeping with us was no problem but these two weigh 20 lbs each and they sleep across my legs!

Good luck! Aren't the puppy zoomies (when they tear around the room after each other to let off steam) fun with two??!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't rub her nose in it or yell, unless I catch her doing it. I will pick me up some of that Nature's Miracle. Cause I am with you, I don't think Shout is working. Mine sleep under the bed (as of right, but it is getting tight under there :)) unless my boyfriend isn't in the bed then they know I will let them sleep with me. Lol. And yes, I just love when they chase each other through the house. Our house is like a big circle too. It's just a huge wall that separates the kitchen and living room, so they have a blast. Haha. But I am def glad we decided to keep both of them. They keep each other busy. :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
They are very cute too, forgot to say that.

The 2 yr old is finally better on walks and now the 1 yr old is a challenge. By the time both of your dogs are 2, things will be much easier! You are right about keeping each other busy. We no longer need the dog park or doggy day care but we do need to put a fence in. I can't wait until they can zoom around the whole yard.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It does get tricky walking 2 at a time. I have fallen once so far. LOL. My boyfriend and I have been taking them for a leash walk every Sunday to the creek behind out house. We live in the woods way away from the road. So ours just run free and chase each other every where. And they love the mud behind our house. Haha :rolleyes:

Oh and they are only cute when they are sleeping lol

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Day 3 - WhaHoo! That's great!

I don't rub her nose in it or yell, unless I catch her doing it.
This is probably why she hides when she poops in the house. You don't want to make her afraid to potty when you're around. Clap your hands or say "EhEh" and hustle her outside, then praise her.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts