Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i am new to this website but i was looking for ideas on how to train my new rottweiler and i have got some good ideas. i just adopted my one year old female rottweiler for the pound and she dosent seem to be house broken at all. i have had her for three days and she has been a hand full when it comes to potty time. i take her out about once every two hours and watch her very closley in the house but she seems to go as soon as i look away. she uses the bathroom outside every time i take her but she still goes in the house. what am i doing wrong?? i treat her and appraise her everytime she goes outside and she dose not care she still wants to potty inside. i just took her to the vet yesterday so i know that its not a health issue. i know that being a year old she shouldnt need to go out so often but i take her anyways to try to prevent the going in the house and she still dose, she has went in my house ten times in the three days i have had her i have even got to the point today that i changed our potty scheduel to every hour!!!! and she still went in the house three times today!!!!! im so confused somebody help me please!!!:eek:

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Did you mention the potty behavior to the vet? Have you been using a crate?

Regardless, I would follow our sticky on housetraining. It's going to take more than 3 days for her to be comfortable in your home. Excluding a medical condition, urinating can be a symptom of stress that only time, consistent housetraining, and a confidence boost employing NILIF can help.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
You're doing good to keep taking your dog out often on a schedule. Are you also feeding her on a schedule? When she has an accident, do you interrupt her and get her outside to finish? How are you praising her for going outside? Are you cleaning up accidents right away with an enzymatic pet stain and odor eliminator? Beyond all of that, I would crate the dog, baby gate her into a puppy proofed room, or tether her to you when you cannot watch her every move. Free time in the house around here is for "empty" dogs. That said, it seems to me like your dog is urinating too much to be normal. Did your vet check for a UTI?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you mention the potty behavior to the vet? Have you been using a crate?

Regardless, I would follow our sticky on housetraining. It's going to take more than 3 days for her to be comfortable in your home. Excluding a medical condition, urinating can be a symptom of stress that only time, consistent housetraining, and a confidence boost employing NILIF can help.
yes i did mention it to the vet and he said there was no health reason it could be just nervousness, and i realize that it is going to take a while to train her i just like to have some insight from people that know what there talking about.. thank you so much

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes she is being fed on scheduel also and i do stop her when i catch her potting on the floor and take her outside to finish. and i praise her by telling her she is a good girl and giving her a treat and i show her that i am very excited by jumping up and down and playing with her and she gets excited to, is that a good thing to do? and i do clean accidents with pet oder and stain removers as soon as i see it i spray the stain and when i get back in from taking her out i dab it up . and the vet told me that it was probly partly nerves an partly because in the pound they go in there pin and the workers just spray it out so its habit for her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts