Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new and not sure this is the right place to post it so sorry if Im wrong.

I have a 8 month old Jack Russell Terrier, she is absolutely amazing and I love her dearly.
BUT - She has issues peeing outside. Going #2 is ok (although she likes to get away from me a little before going) but peeing is the real problem. She can hold it for hours and go the moment we are inside even though I make several trips with her during the day.
I want her to be able to go normally... what should I do??
She is neutered,we live together in an apartment and she wont pee in her crate. (FYI - on vacation at my parents where there is a huge yard she was fine going outside, could it be the leash?).
I have to say that I did give her a little "negative feed back" once and felt really bad about it (Im not violent or something, it just slipped).
I am pretty sure this is my fault please help me...I want her to be happy with peeing :(

sorry for the long post :/
Thank you.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Go to the training forum, we have a house training sticky full of great advice. We have a lot of stickies, actually, stick around!

Basically, you take the dog out every hour or two for 10-15 minutes. No play, this is potty time. When she goes, praise and give her a treat. If she doesn't go, just go back inside. If she goes inside, clean with an enzymatic cleaner like natures miracle. Soap and water isn't enough, if she can smell previous pers, she'll think that spot is a toilet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply and instructions!
Ill give it a shot, still its strange that going #2 is not an issue only peeing is :p

Is this thread going to stay open so I can post progress\no change ?

·
Banned
96 Posts
Has she had a vet check up recently? She may have a physiological issue- maybe UTI? Get her to a vet and rule out physical problems! Gl!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi lovejc,

I took her to the vet, they took every possible sample and thank god she is a healthy dog :)

Thank you anyway!

·
Banned
96 Posts
Hi lovejc,

I took her to the vet, they took every possible sample and thank god she is a healthy dog :)

Thank you anyway!
Well that's awesome! How long ago was it though? A UTI doesn't take long to develop!

·
Banned
96 Posts
A week is plenty of time for a UTI to develop. It may not be that at all but it's worth looking into!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The peeing indoors has been an issue for a while now (more than a month) . I hoped that during my vacation she would have grown out of it through imitating the older dog but now that we are back home Im thinking about getting a life vest :D

Im going to the vet anyway this Thursday so Ill look into it for sure (double check won't harm anyone right?) , but my hunch is that its a mixture of confusion, inconsistency and fear (all my fault) - so ill keep an eye on feeding times, praise when she is good, cleaning the flat again and lots of short trips outside like Amaryllis suggested.

YuukiAstro.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So,
Went to visit the vet, she is fine and has no physiological problem.
I have been trying to take her out every hour or two, for 10-15 min, no playing and if she goes she gets a treat.

Eventually what happens is she goes #1 and #2 in the morning, and the rest of the times she won't pee. At the moment Im still on vacation so she is near me all day, the moment I leave the door open to another room, she will find a spot and go inside (then she will have a really guilty face on - so I think she knows going inside is not ok).

Any further Ideas? :( :(

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
So,
Went to visit the vet, she is fine and has no physiological problem.
I have been trying to take her out every hour or two, for 10-15 min, no playing and if she goes she gets a treat.

Eventually what happens is she goes #1 and #2 in the morning, and the rest of the times she won't pee. At the moment Im still on vacation so she is near me all day, the moment I leave the door open to another room, she will find a spot and go inside (then she will have a really guilty face on - so I think she knows going inside is not ok).

Any further Ideas? :( :(
You need to stop giving her an opportunity to go away from you to go. If you're not watching her, she's in the crate. Just like a puppy, the end. Outside, 10-15 minutes. She doesn't go? Don't bring her back in and turn her lose in the apartment. Bring her back in, put her in a crate, or keep her on her leash near you. Wait an hour (or half hour). Take her out for 10-15 minutes. Goes? Great. Free time and play for half hour. Doesn't? Nope, no freedom. On the leash or in the crate. It also sounds very much like at some point in her life she's been yelled at or punished for going in the house and the lesson she learned from that was 'don't go in front of people'. This makes it harder, but the principals are the same: No freeom TO get away from you, go into another room and pee.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply,
She is not running free in the house, she is in the same room as me (and follows me like a shadow) she only gets on and off the leash when sitting and waiting for a min, but im going to try what you are suggesting with the crate\leash.
As I wrote in the first comment, it is for sure my fault...

She pulls on the leash when she wants to go, If I don't let her pull she won't go (on a normal walk she does not pull) I am assuming that this is not a good sign, should I not let her pull, until she can't hold it and go next to me?

I just want her to be able to pee and poop without it being a big issue for her :(

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Thanks for the reply,
She is not running free in the house, she is in the same room as me (and follows me like a shadow) she only gets on and off the leash when sitting and waiting for a min, but im going to try what you are suggesting with the crate\leash.
As I wrote in the first comment, it is for sure my fault...

She pulls on the leash when she wants to go, If I don't let her pull she won't go (on a normal walk she does not pull) I am assuming that this is not a good sign, should I not let her pull, until she can't hold it and go next to me?

I just want her to be able to pee and poop without it being a big issue for her :(
I really didn't mean it to sound accusatory - it was late, I'm sick and apparently that makes me use fewer words.

Maybe try a flexi lead for potty trips? That helps some dogs, with bathroom. She'd probably learn the difference between which leash she can 'pull' pretty fast, too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hahaha its ok, first of all get well soon!

I decided to go with gut felling and not let her pull, eventually she did it right next to me which was awesome! :clap2: I gave her a treat, and kissed her and hugged her then we played with a stick and now she is back in the crate.

Im going to try this for a week to see how it goes, eventually she will have to give up and pee next to me, and learn that its ok (as long as its outside :p )

Im using a all leather leash, just roll it in my hand if I want it shorter, I don't know why but I don't like the flexi leash, feels strange in the hand

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update!

Its working! she is going #1 and #2 outside like a queen several times a day, since my last post she had 1 or 2 slips inside the house, except that its all sun shine and flowers!
My only question now is - due to this new routine, she spends most of her day in the crate, when comes the time where I can let her "free" in the apartment? What I mean is -> she is going outside now (THANK GOD) but I don't think she understands that going inside is not allowed.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Vinegar also works great as an enzymatic cleaner.

Anyway, I wouldn't let her have free reign of the house, yet. A lot of people recommend being completely accident-free for 6 months before you start allowing them any sort of freedom of the house. You don't have to have her in the crate all the time. After she potties you can have her with you in a room, even off leash so long as you are completely watching her, and not allowing her any time out of your sight to pee.

Also, I would recommend turning your back to her for a while when you take her outside to potty. It may help her with the issue of going potty in front of you. Or at least not staring at her, as that can be threatening to her.

Best of luck, sounds like you're off to a great start! =]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I stand slightly to the side but she is ok with that now (knowing treats are coming :p) I also repeat the word "pipi" before\during she goes which seems to have helped - she starts sniffing looking for a spot to go! Im really happy things are going in a good direction now, never had any problems with the other dogs when I lived in the countryside with a big yard, now Im in an apartment house which is really strange for me too.
Thank you all for the Help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts