Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 1/2 month miniature bull terrier crossed with something I believe he may be crossed with a pitbull... He's over all a pretty good pup but he has shown major signs of aggression.. Never towards adults or very small children but he has nipped at my niece who's 6 when she was running which I corrected but passed off as play biting but today he got in a fight with my cousins dog which is a stafforsire terrier and also my moms dog which Is an older beagle but both dogs were aggressive towards him first and he just grabbed them with his jaws by the neck and wouldn't let go... It was scary but he's fine with more dosile dogs... I just don't know what to think about this one... Is it a matter of being a dominate male and an unfully trained pup? What do you guys think? Will he be better once he's nuetured? Or is there something I'm not doing right?

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Nipping at children sounds more like a herding breed than a pitbull. My FI was bitten several times as a child by different herding dogs (probably because he's likely to wander off... which hasn't changed in 20 years, lol!)

Training will definitely help. What was your pup doing when the other dogs started getting aggressive with them? Were any of the dogs n a leash? Dogs aren't usually aggressive with each other for no reason.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Nipping children and fighting dogs are two totally different issues.

As to the dogs: some dogs are dog aggressive, DA. dog aggression is NOT human aggression. They have nothing to do with each other. DA is genetic, not a matter of training or dominance. You cannot train out DA. You can manage it, that's all.

As to the nipping: it could be a herding dog thing or just excitement. Just watch your dog around children. Make sure they don't play too rough or get to excited. Separate them of they do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention a time when he was 4 months old he got out by accident and a neighbor was walking by and stuck out his hand to pet him and he just went up and bit his has actually causing.him to bleed.... That was the first scare but with my niece it did almost seem like a heerding nip but still something that bothered me.....

There was 4 dogs off leash in a back yard.... One was an older beagle that doesn't like being bugged by a puppy at the best of times and another was a stadfosire (not sure how its spelt) but pitbull characteristics and not neutured and very dominant from what I can tell and a bulldog who is very dosile and then my dog... The first fight was caused by my dog walking by the bulldog and the stadfosire just attacked him and the second fight the beagle was around food and snapped at my dog and my dog just attacked him by the throat it took three of us to get him off.. so I know my dog was just deffending himself but at the same time I thought he was going to kill him! Which is not acceptable behaviour.... He has never bit anyone of us before and does not growl or even fuss when when I take away a toy or food... I want him to get along with other dogs and children... Should I mussel him around others until he learns to act better?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would neuter this dog without hesitation. While the child nipping does sound like a herding dog characteristic, it does not sound like your dog is herding group. The human bite that broke skin is of more concern. You must protect your animal by making sure he is not labled dangerous, and to do that you should act now.

Find a qualified behaviorist and take their advice. Without intervention you are heading the wrong way. There will be no substitution for a qualified behaviorist...but neutering will help. I am guessing that you wouldn't breed this dog, so there is no reason to delay.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
It sounds like you have several different problems at once.

First, if the other dogs were known to have issues with dogs ("One was an older beagle that doesn't like being bugged by a puppy at the best of times") then all these dogs should NOT have been loose together. Just asking for trouble.

Then, you have the same beagle and your dog around food ("the beagle was around food and snapped at my dog and my dog just attacked him by the throat")- until ALL the dogs involved are known to be 100% relaxed around food and treats, tread carefully. It is not good that your dog attacked, but you also seemed to have set up a situation ready for failure.

Nipping kids- puppies are mouthy and kids are exciting and strange. They have to be supervised and socialized and the kids have to learn too. Sometimes running and shouting games are just too much for a dog to handle and gets them all worked up. They can think they are playing, like they would with another dog, but kids are more fragile than other dogs (all the play biting and mouthing friendly dogs do with each other would bloody up a human)

I forgot to mention a time when he was 4 months old he got out by accident and a neighbor was walking by and stuck out his hand to pet him and he just went up and bit his has actually causing.him to bleed....
4 month old puppies bite and they have sharp teeth so it is easy to make someone bleed. He was alone and presumably no one saw exactly how the neighbor approached him. If the neighbor reached down at him quickly and in a scary manner, it doesn't surprise me that he bit. If he hadn't had a lot of bite inhibition taught to him by his littermates and then by you, he could bite harder than intended esp. at that age.

Should I mussel him around others until he learns to act better?
A muzzle isn't a cure. He won't suddenly learn to "act better" and he definitely won't learn if he keeps getting into situations where other dogs are aggressive towards him. A muzzle can be a useful tool in certain situations but it is still only a tool.

I also suggest you look to a trainer. Your dog might have dog aggression issues, but it is hard to say given all the other problems in his environment (from his perspective at least)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree he has to be neutered but I don't think it will solve everything.... I do blame myself for letting both dogs get close while a treat was around but I've had dogs/puppies my whole life and never had an issue... I know puppies will bite and mouth and will get disgruntled with one another but never had a dog react so viciously... Don't get me wrong he's a loving dog... The problem is how to I try and curve his aggression when he feels threatened? No one even wants him around and it upsets me because he is a good dog...maybe seeking help with his behaviour will be best

1 - 7 of 7 Posts