Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having severe difficulties training my dog. I just adopted him from the local SPCA who told me he was paper trained so I went and bought some puppy mats. Aiden is an 8 month old terrier/poodle mix. I am single so while I go to work he is stuck in a crate all day. I take him outside to relieve himself in the morning before I go to work and immediately upon my return home. he has only had one accident in his crate since I've brought him home. after I take him outside it's hit or miss on whether or not he'll go (he'll usually pee but hardly ever poops) that is until he gets back inside. about 10-20 minutes after I bring him back inside he's ready to go... on my carpet, he never chooses the tile in the kitchen. I feel bad leaving him crated except for bathroom breaks but at this point I have no clue what else to do. I give him treats and praise him whenever he goes outside, any advise would be GREAT!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
How long are you walking him for in the morning? Walking will stimulate their bowels. Walk for a half hr or so briskly, then "mosey" for 10 min or so letting him sniff to find a spot.
If he hasn't gone, bring him in, crate, and take him back out in 15 min.

Keep him tethered to you so you can supervise him when you are home.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
If he's peeing 20 minutes after you bring him in, either walk him 20 minutes longer or bring him back out after 10 minutes.

House training is simply setting up a habit- going outside. When he goes outside, give him a treat. Take him out as often as it takes to set up the habit and make the habit rewarding and eventually he'll get it.

Be sure to clean up with an enzymatic cleaner like natures miracle. Otherwise, he can still smell where he went and will think its a good place to go.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily believe the SPCA that he was properly housebroken. I would just start over again - frequent walks, keep the dog within grabbing distance the rest of the time so you can catch him if he starts to go, reward him handsomely for going in the right place, etc...

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Plus .... he is only 8 months old. Aiden is getting near the teenage stage ( about 9 months of age ) and may have a few accidents that just require a refresher course on potty training. They do go back to remembering what they are taught. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts