Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys name is Meghan and my husband and I just brought home a 12 week old papillon puppy! His name is villicious aka villy.
I need some help with him being aggressive and stand offish with my husband.
When we went to go pick him up from the breeders he was with me the whole time for the first three days of having villy we had to travel so he stayed in my lap or arms. Probably not the best thing. Anyways he is now very attactched to me. Follows me around winless when I step out of the room. Even if he's in a dead sleep and I get up and he notices he ll wake up and wait for me to return.
The other day my husband tried picking him up and villy started yelping and trying to bite home being extremely aggressive.
I ve read and been told that papillons usually do not act this way! Aim worried because he is my first puppy and I'm not sure how to correct this behavior.
I've been trying to get my husband to spend more time with him and do what I do but he doesn't want to baby him lol.
So I need some advise on how to correct this behavior before villy is old and hates my husband or perhaps other people.( though hes been fine towards my husband and other people before we came home)
Please someone help with my little papillon problem!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think he might be still adapting. He just got taken away from is mother and brothers and sisters. Just be calm and gentle with him. Puppies are really sensitive, so try not to get too frustrated. I think it's normal that he's following you around, that's what they do, especially when they're puppies. My dog is a year old and she still sticks to me like glue (even when I go to the bathroom lol). How does your husband approach the little guy? Look at it from the perspective of a little dog, when someone tries to pet you from above or pick you up, that can be really scary. We are much bigger than them, and sometimes harmless things we do can seem very scary. Have you husband try to kneel down to Villy's level, and don't try to grab him. Have Villy approach first and sniff. Sometimes having a tasty treat or a fun toy can help. Let your husband feed Villy all his meals, show Villy that your husband is a provider and brings good things. You guys are still building that trust and bond, so it'll take a little bit of time :) I hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you that makes a lot of sense. It does get frustrating cause I want villy to respond to my husband the way he does me. Dave (my husband) just said he tried the treat thing last night villy would come get the treat bit then still wouldnt let Dave touch him. But then this morning villy let him take him out for a potty and take his harness off and on a couple times lol. We will keep trying and I'll get Dave to do all the feeding and be on villas level.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hey no problem, I hope things work out. Make sure Dave is really gentle and patient with Villy. Not sure what kind of guy Dave is, but sometimes guys act so macho they don't realize they look really intimidating to such a small puppy, lol.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Lots of dogs have one special person. It's completely normal. I am Harper's special person, and my fiance is Abby's special person. The cats seem to be our foster pup's special "person"! :)

But, Wicket gave good advice. You can help your husband and Villy bond by putting your husband in charge of feeding, and also by having your husband keep some tiny treats in his pocket and toss them at Villy whenever he walks by. This way, Villy will start to associate your husband with good things.

Also, many puppies don't like being picked up. I mean, we humans look HUGE to them, and when we lift them up it puts them pretty high off the ground. However, she got used to you pretty quickly, out of necessity. So, maybe let Villy approach your husband by having him offer toys and treats down on her level.
Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts